Sign in to follow this  

XR400R vs XR650R

So unfortunately I'm posting another "what to buy" thread for everyone to read.  Im new to Thumpertalk and I checked a few threads but didn't find my answer i was looking for.  So, ill attempt to make this short and sweet so it doesn't become too redundant.

A little info about me and what I'm trying to gain.  Im 28 yrs old 6'2" and approx 210 lbs.  Im a fairly seasoned rider as I've had many dirt bikes and atvs in the past.  Im mellow and like to cruise, but enjoy the power every now and again when its "appropriate" :D .  The dilemma I've got right now is what bike to purchase as a daily commuter/leisure trail bike.  Im currently in the military and have short distances to commute to work, but have many trails around, within 20 minutes travel time, i could access.  Ive had an XR250R with some mods in the recent past that just didn't have the power I was looking for, so now I'm searching for something larger.  I will be registering the bike for on road use but would like to keep the "dual sport" rather than go supermoto with it.  So heres my questions...

Will the 400 give a guy of my size enough get up and go, or should I just go big with the 650?  I do realized there is a significant weight difference and hp difference between the two, but I'm stuck as to which one to go with.  Any and all suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.  

I also currently have an '86 CR500R I'm doing a complete rebuild on, with a few twists of my own.  Would this bike be road worthy or not a good choice to put on the streets. (I've heard they like to go fast :smirk:  )  Also, I've got the Service Honda stator coil and I'm in need of the CDI that goes with it.  Any resources or input on the CDI issue?

Edited by ARBrown

Yeah, you will need to figure which you will be doing most, commute or trails. The XR650 is a gronk of a bike and better suited for the street side of dual sport and more open trails. The 400 is still heavy (by modern bike standards), but is very doable for shorter commutes and is a great woods bike. I had an '03 XR400 that I bought new and rode in the tight woods here in Missouri for almost 2 years, was my first dirt bike since the 70's and I had a ton of fun on it. Rock solid air cooled reliable, simple as a lawn mower to work on, and cheap to ride. Several places make dual sport lighting conversions for them and the aftermarket in general is still pretty good for the XRs (just beware of http://www.xrsonly.com/, have read some bad things about them), and OEM parts are readily available just about anywhere.

Sounds good. Appreciate the prompt reply. Yea that's basically what I've heard about the 400 is it's a little better for the trails and the 650 is more of an open road type bike. Honestly the 650 seems more up my alley just because I'd more than likely be using it for that more so than the trails. And even then, the trails are relatively flat and open here. Not many trees where I am now. Haha

XR650R is a great all around bike, especially good at open, can climb singletracks but it's 1.5 times easier on XR400R, so it really depends on what you can do  :)

mx skills preferable if you want to turn The Pig faster, otherwise you'll be making new singletracks every turn if you go fast.

You need a speedo on XR650R, otherwise you will feel like you're going 50 when in fact it's 70+ on roads.

You will probably want more mods for XR650R, than you would for XR400R in the end. Also XR650R eats rear tires for breakfast and chains and sprockets for dinner, you'll have to use DID ERV3 or something as tough in order for it to last

XR400R is less peaky  :D

• Like 1

xr650r is tall, fat, and heavy. I'd go for the xr400. Still fine for commuting. Actually if I was going for an xr I'd get an xr250r. '95 or earlier because they're more comfortable for me.

Why not a wr400f or 426f? Are they legal there? They are here. Good for dirt, reliable, fast.

If you want snap, WR 450, 426, 400 would be the way to go. Of course if money is no object, the new KTM 500's will do everything well. XR's are great if you know which ones to look for. I don't think the water cooled ones are much better than the modern CR 450'S, and this includes the 650's. Now the XR 600'S are awesome, but not lite.

Thanks for all the info. The 250 is unfortunately not enough power for my size. I had one about a year ago and sold it for that reason. I'll probably end up with the 400 more than likely. Only reason I havent explored other manufacturers is because I'm picky haha. I've always been a big xr fan from since I was young so I'm just gonna stick with that I think. Thanks again guys