Sign in to follow this  

New Member, New Drz owner. Please help

About a month ago I bought a brand new 2014 Drz400sm. I've put close to 1700 miles on it. I did the first oil change at 250 then one at 1000. I love the bike to death. It's the first bike I've ever owned. There's just a couple of doubts I have. If you guys could please answer some of them I would highly appreciated it.

1) The choke.

There's days where I might not ride for a day or two. The bike is kept in my garage, it's kinda cool and humid in it. I can start the Drz with the choke in but it eventually turns off. If I pull the choke out one click it will start but it eventually turns off too. If I try to start it with the choke all the way out the bike will not star. It will just turn and turn and turn but not start, unless I give it throttle. But if I give it throttle again it will turn off.

Am I doing something wrong?

2) Noise

There's a noise coming from the left side of the Drz. It's a small squeaking noise. It's very quiet but noticeable. I've not been able to pin point it 100% but it's either coming from the front left side of the motor or the front wheel. The noise is constant. It does not increase by speed or sudden movement.

3) Noise numero 2

There's another noise I hear from the same side. It sounds like some metal on metal action going good on. It's a bit louder than the first one but nothing extreme. I only seem to notice it at 30+ mph. I only hear it as I give it throttle. It last for a sec or two. So if I chop the throttle I hear it back to back. I hear it and think I'm low oil so I pull over at a gas station to check my oil and it will be fine. It does not do it if I pull in the clutch and give it throttle. I've read that Drz are noisy bikes so I don't know if it's just me being paranoid.

I use Mobile 1 synthetic oil if that helps

IMG_20140812_224423.jpg

• Like 1

1) Choke....I would turn your idle up some...when engine is at operating temp ,set your idle to 1800 to 1900 rpm, sounds like half choke is the winner ..just use it long enough until it will run with the choke off....In summer that shouldn't be too long , maybe 15 seconds or so.....If this doesn't work out the next step would be to install a jet kit to gain some tunabilty to your carb...

2 + 3)...Noise....Are these new noises..?  the drz has some normal running noise which you may be mistaking for an issue....Maybe post some recording if your concerned or run it past the dealer..

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

Nice bike pic bryan , like craigo said , do a rejet and 3x3 mod and it will be better . These bikes rattle a lot , the quieter the muffler , the louder they seem , greg

• Like 1

Nice looking bike! Listen to these guys.... they know what they are talking about! Mine hates to be lugged too... more than the hubby's.

1) Choke....I would turn your idle up some...when engine is at operating temp ,set your idle to 1800 to 1900 rpm, sounds like half choke is the winner ..just use it long enough until it will run with the choke off....In summer that shouldn't be too long , maybe 15 seconds or so.....If this doesn't work out the next step would be to install a jet kit to gain some tunabilty to your carb...

2 + 3)...Noise....Are these new noises..?  the drz has some normal running noise which you may be mistaking for an issue....Maybe post some recording if your concerned or run it past the dealer..

They started a few days after I got it. I'm going to drop it off Monday and have them take a look.

Nice bike pic bryan , like craigo said , do a rejet and 3x3 mod and it will be better . These bikes rattle a lot , the quieter the muffler , the louder they seem , greg

That's what a guy from work told me. He said get a new pipe and they will all go away. I have the ssw on the way

• Like 2

2 sounds like chain rubbing the guide, 3 sounds like chain snatch. Check your chain tension. If all is good just ride it.

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

You wont hear a knock after the SSW is fitted !

Well.....apart from the rattling between your ears  :lol:

I love mine. But only with the quiet insert fitted. Too knarly for me in 'open' mode...........

haha. when i used to ask my dad what a certain noise was with my camaro he would just say "turn up the radio and just drive it" . I wouldnt mind if my mrd was even louder. Im starting to think i should've got it shorter like Rons...

Edited by jawknee21
  • Like 2

i think alot of it is paranoia with the sounds! im the same way the noises and its just normal drz noises that are being made! Just change the oil regularly and just look out of metal in oil. If none Just keep riding!

• Like 2

They don't like to be lugged , try to keep the revs up .. Just a bit .

Yeah .. Set the idle to around 1800 rpm .

I've noticed this after a couple hundred miles on mine.  The shift points listed in the owner's manual would have you lugging at the low end all over the place.  It's much happier mid range.  Bad thing on my S model is 50 mph is the high end of 4th and low end of 5th.   Constantly shifting when there's traffic doing the speed limit.  Been thinking of changing my sprockets for better highway use.

I've noticed this after a couple hundred miles on mine.  The shift points listed in the owner's manual would have you lugging at the low end all over the place.  It's much happier mid range.  Bad thing on my S model is 50 mph is the high end of 4th and low end of 5th.   Constantly shifting when there's traffic doing the speed limit.  Been thinking of changing my sprockets for better highway use.

Another way to go round it would be to increase the mid range power..Going Big Bore will help the engine pull more comfortable at a lower rpm...

I can cruise at 70 km/h (43 mph) and it will pull away no problem in 5th on my E running 15/41T- 18" rear wheel (CW big bore kit fitted)

Another way to go round it would be to increase the mid range power..Going Big Bore will help the engine pull more comfortable at a lower rpm...

I can cruise at 70 km/h (43 mph) and it will pull away no problem in 5th on my E running 15/41T- 18" rear wheel (CW big bore kit fitted)

Completely agree.  Was going to do this when the warranty period runs out, along with airbox, exhaust and carb mods.  No replacement for displacement.   I'm just a few miles shy of the first service right now (450 miles and two months old).  

• Like 1