Sign in to follow this  

2013 - KEEP YOUR STOCK EXHAUST!

So a few weeks ago I bought a 2013 KX250f second hand. In short, it's the best bike I've ever owned or ridden, couldn't be happier. The bloke I bought it off had installed a full Pro Circuit T5 exhaust system, and had had the bike professionally mapped for the pipe. I asked him how much difference he thought it made, as my friend also has a 2013, and we'd always been super impressed with it's performance, I wondered what sort of hp increase you could expect. The seller said it had added heaps of bottom end, and was well worth the price. "alrighty then, cool' I think.

So I went riding last weekend, and as expected the bike went great. But the other day someone offered to buy my pipe, and I thought why not, I could use the extra cash. I pulled it off, whacked the stocker back on and went for a ride. I was expecting to lose a noticable amount of power, but I was greatly surprised. The bike, even though it had been remapped precisely for the Pro Circuit, was noticeably superior with the stock exhaust fitted. I'll go over exactly how.

1. Overrev: The bike pulls noticeably further in each gear with the stock pipe. This was something I'd been underwhelmed with riding on the weekend; it had felt like I needed to shift too early. The stock pipe eliminated that feeling. It felt like I could rev it forever.

2. Midrange: The bike definitely hits harder in the midrange now. This isn't neccessarily a good thing. The Pro Circuit had an electric powerband, super smooth, which is obviously easier to ride, but the stock has so much more personailty! It's definitely more fun to ride.

3. Sound: Not a deal breaker I know, but worth a mention. The stock pipe sounds great imo, really barky without being ear splitting. The pro circuit sounded breathless to be honest.

If there's one thing the Pro Circuit did better, it's the bottom end. The PC perhaps got into it's meat a little earlier than stock, but it was so slight I had to do a fair bit of riding to be sure. Oh, and the PC weighed ever so slightly less than stock (it was the aluminium, not the titanium, titanium would be more noticeable I suppose).

IN SHORT! Don't spend something like a grand on an aftermarket pipe for your 2013- kx250 if you're just an average weekend warrior, it simply isn't worth it. You might convince yourself it makes a difference (as the guy I bought my bike from had), but it won't improve your powerband. Indeed, it made mine worse! The money I'm getting for the PC is going straight into suspension, which I reckon I'll notice a whole lot more :D

Have any of you guys run different brand pipes on your bikes? FMF, akro, etc? If you have, what did you notice?

I've contemplated buying a full yosh system for $500 new. But definitely want to buy new clutch and front brake levers first, the unbreakable design ones. Then radiator braces in case i fall over it wont snap my radiator. I'm curious other peoples opinions on aftermarket exhaust, surprised to hear your negative reviews.

• Like 1

I've got a full dep s7 on my kxf 250 2011, I'd not go back to stock, main reason, it gives me a raging boner listening to it.

Your bike is carb though, what about your performance gains or losses, you rejet? Im curious about fuel injected results with newer bikes, won't FI adjust itself somewhat or no?

Dyno shows the stock pipe clearly makes better power than an aftermarket pipe. FMF is the closets to matching stock power curves. I know one builder making great power with a modded motor running stock header pipe.

Dyno shows the stock pipe clearly makes better power than an aftermarket pipe. FMF is the closets to matching stock power curves. I know one builder making great power with a modded motor running stock header pipe.

Do you have a link to see that?

Do you have a link to see that?

it came from EMT race engines in Cali. They I'm sure will be happy to give out dyno results on the 250's from stock to full race build

I've got a full dep s7 on my kxf 250 2011, I'd not go back to stock, main reason, it gives me a raging boner listening to it.

Yeah I think there are definitely some bikes it makes a difference on. The 2011 had a drastically different stock muffler/header, so I'm not surprised you noticed an improvement. The Honda's are another bike that you'd notice an aftermarket, as they're so choked up stock. It's not that the Pro Circuit is bad, it's just that the stock 2013 is so good!

Edited by Reggsie

I've contemplated buying a full yosh system for $500 new. But definitely want to buy new clutch and front brake levers first, the unbreakable design ones. Then radiator braces in case i fall over it wont snap my radiator. I'm curious other peoples opinions on aftermarket exhaust, surprised to hear your negative reviews.

The Yoshi's look nice, but I'd be surprised if the 500 dollar systems made a difference. I saw a dyno graph of a RMZ250 that made less peak horsepower than the stock with the yosh fitted. I think the difference would be even more marked on a kx. Unbreakable levers though, best idea ever. They can give a bit of a funny feel on the clutch side I notice, but the trade off is worth it.

Yup ive always heard for years that pipes dont do much for kawasaki 250f. Definitly worth spending your money elsewhere

the stock kawi muffler is the best for it, people buy aftermarket to quite the bike! the header on the other hand.. you're lucky with the 13+ having the megabomb, that makes all the difference. remapping for a muffler is hooey the bloke buttered you up.

the stock kawi muffler is the best for it, people buy aftermarket to quite the bike! the header on the other hand.. you're lucky with the 13+ having the megabomb, that makes all the difference. remapping for a muffler is hooey the bloke buttered you up.

Yeah the PC wasn't really a selling point for me, and I got the bike for a good price regardless. With the $400AU I'm getting for the PC, the bike ended up being a brilliant price :D

As far as sound, I don't really see the fuss. The bike isn't especially quiet, but it's not strikingly worse than my old crf250 with the duel mufflers. And my mate's crf with fmf exhaust is faaaar worse, though that could be because the packing is shot. The stock pipe passes regulations, so why change it? Unless you're trailriding, then fair enough.

Edited by Reggsie

Could I use the 13 head pipe on my 12?

Would it make a difference ? Looking for a little more snap off the bottom