Honda or yamaha 230

Hey guys i am trying to still find a dirtbike my dad told me to look at the ttr230 and the crf230f. Which one is better? Im 5-9 and this will be my first bike. I'm trying to find one before i go on vacation to ride in a week. My dad has been working and fixing motorcycles for 35 years and i trust what he says. Which one is better? Thanks everyone

Yes the ttr230 plastics are expensive. The TTR is 100% bulletproof though. Like mind-blowing "how could it still run fine?" bulletproof.

Can't say about the Honda. One of my old riding buddies had one when I rode the TTR but maybe his sounded a little cooler? I never rode his.

They're farm/trail bikes no bones about it. Excellent for when you want to jump on and pin it for 30 min down the road. Not excellent for the track or any jumping really, even though mine has seen both. The suspension will self-destruct and it'll destruct your feet too.

My TTR is a '04 and it's gotten me 10 miles and back to work, never warmed it up enough, just took off with the choke still on. Pinned it 10 miles, then after work through the river, FMX ramps (ones..) rolled it down long hills, ripped around a homemade arenacross track, completely bashed and neglected that poor thing for 7 years before I retired it and it still runs how it did when it was new! I could fire it up now and abuse it more!

The TTR isn't a sporty bike but they're so much fun and indestructible! Love the 6 speed transmission. Can go very slow and top speed is about 100-110 km/h depending on wind.

• Like 1

Yes the ttr230 plastics are expensive. The TTR is 100% bulletproof though. Like mind-blowing "how could it still run fine?" bulletproof.

Can't say about the Honda. One of my old riding buddies had one when I rode the TTR but maybe his sounded a little cooler? I never rode his.

They're farm/trail bikes no bones about it. Excellent for when you want to jump on and pin it for 30 min down the road. Not excellent for the track or any jumping really, even though mine has seen both. The suspension will self-destruct and it'll destruct your feet too.

My TTR is a '04 and it's gotten me 10 miles and back to work, never warmed it up enough, just took off with the choke still on. Pinned it 10 miles, then after work through the river, FMX ramps (ones..) rolled it down long hills, ripped around a homemade arenacross track, completely bashed and neglected that poor thing for 7 years before I retired it and it still runs how it did when it was new! I could fire it up now and abuse it more!

The TTR isn't a sporty bike but they're so much fun and indestructible! Love the 6 speed transmission. Can go very slow and top speed is about 100-110 km/h depending on wind.

i have a few things to say... 1 what do you mean by self destruct? I have a 5-6ft high dirt ramp and hit it going 20 and im fine on mine. 2, 05 is the first year they made the 230. You have the 225 which is a dog. And 3. Running it on full choke, how did you not bomb the engine.
  • Like 1

i have a few things to say... 1 what do you mean by self destruct? I have a 5-6ft high dirt ramp and hit it going 20 and im fine on mine. 2, 05 is the first year they made the 230. You have the 225 which is a dog. And 3. Running it on full choke, how did you not bomb the engine.

1) self destruct as in all the seals blow on takeoff, never mind the landing. This on a full size ramp. I've had other jumps too like a 20 foot tabletop and stuff like that and the suspension just isn't up to it. I'm not saying you can't bunny hop it but you're not going to get any real air without doing damage.

2) Yup, mine was the 225, same engine as the 230 and most of the rest of the bike is the same too. The 230 is a bit skinnier and a bit higher but I'm not aware of any substantial difference that would make what I say only apply to the 225. I also rode with a guy who had a 230 and rode them a fair bit too.

3) it's bulletproof like I said. I would run it on choke, it would die if you gave too much gas when cold so I worked up it to a high RPM and away I went. Wouldn't let off because then I'd have to work it back up. Then when it was warm I'd turn off the choke and pin it, blipping it every few minutes because I thought that's all it needed to not be hard on it. I also had the engine full of water. I turned it over by pulling it behind another bike with the ignition off and when it stopped pumping water out of the exhaust I layed it on its side to try drain it a bit and then fired it up.

I only blew that engine ones by running it completely dry of oil. Then it seized but it still made it 7 miles WOT.

1) self destruct as in all the seals blow on takeoff, never mind the landing. This on a full size ramp. I've had other jumps too like a 20 foot tabletop and stuff like that and the suspension just isn't up to it. I'm not saying you can't bunny hop it but you're not going to get any real air without doing damage.

2) Yup, mine was the 225, same engine as the 230 and most of the rest of the bike is the same too. The 230 is a bit skinnier and a bit higher but I'm not aware of any substantial difference that would make what I say only apply to the 225. I also rode with a guy who had a 230 and rode them a fair bit too.

3) it's bulletproof like I said. I would run it on choke, it would die if you gave too much gas when cold so I worked up it to a high RPM and away I went. Wouldn't let off because then I'd have to work it back up. Then when it was warm I'd turn off the choke and pin it, blipping it every few minutes because I thought that's all it needed to not be hard on it. I also had the engine full of water. I turned it over by pulling it behind another bike with the ignition off and when it stopped pumping water out of the exhaust I layed it on its side to try drain it a bit and then fired it up.

I only blew that engine ones by running it completely dry of oil. Then it seized but it still made it 7 miles WOT.

225 is a dog compared to the 230. Engine is a bunch better! Also this sounds like an idle problem, turn your idle screw up and the jump I have is 6ft table I get probably 8ft of air and hit hard flat ground not a landing. I can feel the suspension hit.

225 is a dog compared to the 230. Engine is a bunch better! Also this sounds like an idle problem, turn your idle screw up and the jump I have is 6ft table I get probably 8ft of air and hit hard flat ground not a landing. I can feel the suspension hit.

Wow I'd never dream of a flat landing on mine. I remember the first time I rode a mx bike I thought it was magic how I could completely overshoot and land soft as a feather. I did overshoot because they fly much better too. If the new ones are better than all the more reason to go TTR in my opinion! Edited by runnybunny
  • Like 1

Wow I'd never dream of a flat landing on mine. I remember the first time I rode a mx bike I thought it was magic how I could completely overshoot and land soft as a feather. I did overshoot because they fly much better too. If the new ones are better than all the more reason to go TTR in my opinion!

yeah a few times landing when I hit it a little two hard my feet would kill haha

I just bought a 2007 CRF230F and love it.  I'm 42y/o and the first 36 mile trail ride about killed my back side as the seat on the CRF 230 is like a sheet of plywood and the rear shock is very stiff making the ride not so great.  From what I have read on here and other write ups the TTR is the same way.  I sent my rear shock to John Hlebo and just got it back after about a week turn around.  The seat was sent to Fisher's for a revamp of foam and widening some.  I have not got the seat back but the shock is installed and ready to go.  I have always rode Honda products and all have been excellent machines and very reliable.   The CRF 230 is a bike that is simple to work on and has plenty of power although its not a racer just a fun trail bike.  I will repost once the seat gets back to me and I make a ride or two.