Sign in to follow this  

Rock Trail west to east?

I missed on my chance to run the rock trail a couple of years back with a broken hand, but still have it on my to do list.  Why.....I have no idea lol.  My question is if there is anything bad about running it west to east rather than the typical way.  In particular, the initial ascent to get on top of the mesa on the west end.  Looks like it is slightly downhill in that direction overall once on top, which would be nice.  The penalty of course is running Fred's uphill, which I'm sure is a tire spinning/rock spitting comedy unless I can find something fun to do going around the long way through Chapala.

Thanks comrades!

We rode it west to east this past March. It can be done either direction, but the step down into the wash when we rode it would be tough to ride east to west. I think that very short section would require two people to lift bikes up for most riders.

Either way it's a bucket list trail that I've checked off, and won't most likely do it again. We started the AM in ElRosario. The ascent to get on top of the Mesa is not too hard at all and beautiful views from the ridge. But the top of the Mesa is a never ending rock garden as I'm sure you've seen pics of. Just when you get up to a reasonable riding speed you hit one boulder wrong or the winds gusts and your off trail (if you can call it that) fighting even bigger boulders or going down, I did once in this section. Then when your physicaly DONE you begin to see the trail leading you to the drop into the wash spot and your hopes of completing it and getting into Gonzaga before dark start to go back up. But that wash is the hardest I've ever riden, it's that chewed up bottomless sand / gravel, again hard to keep momentum. We did it with 12 riders (too many), and got really spread out in the wash. Down wash wind provided no cooling for the bikes in the wash, cooked a wr450 which provided an additional challenge. Chase truck was called to come get him and we all rolled in Gonzaga after dark. Proud to have done it but it was what they said it was. Two days later when we finished our ride in Ensenada ALL the bikes had leaking forks, never seen that before, had to be because of this trail.

Be prepared and safe on this one!

Thanks for your info Jake.  Yes I was mostly wondering about the initial climb to the mesa from the west side so that's good to know.  I've seen video of the climb from the east and it looks a little gnarly, but short.  I've heard about the deep wash as well, probably better going east as well as it's at least going somewhat downstream.  Thank you.

I have done it both directions.

west to east is more fun until you get to the wash.  there is a small section of tight climb from the west to get up onto the mesa.  not too hard, just a little slow for some riders.

east to west is fun, too.

it is a great trail and i look forward to the time when i can go ride it with one or two other guys and ride it both directions in the same day.

as far as going up fred's, it is not nearly the challenge that it used to be.  in fact, recently i saw pictures of some utv's that ran up it. :-(

as far as going up fred's, it is not nearly the challenge that it used to be.  in fact, recently i saw pictures of some utv's that ran up it. :-(

That's kind of a bummer.  Not too long ago it would have been iffy just to get those things through the wash at the bottom.