Sign in to follow this  

SSR 70 CC

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist. I have a ssr70 only 6 months old that has become slowly over time impossible to start. Recently went riding and got the bike covered in mud. That's when it started to run poor. Had to keep turning the idle up just to finish the day. I cleaned the bike filter, carb new plug oil. Checked for spark. The only way to start the bike is to roll start. Then I have to get it hot to stay running. It still will die time to time but I can kick start as long a it's hot. The longer it sits the harder it is to start. I am wondering what to check next. Was thinking about compression test or checking the heads which I've never done. Any help is greatly appreciated!I really want to learn to fix these bikes and maintain properly.

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist. I have a ssr70 only 6 months old that has become slowly over time impossible to start. Recently went riding and got the bike covered in mud. That's when it started to run poor. Had to keep turning the idle up just to finish the day. I cleaned the bike filter, carb new plug oil. Checked for spark. The only way to start the bike is to roll start. Then I have to get it hot to stay running. It still will die time to time but I can kick start as long a it's hot. The longer it sits the harder it is to start. I am wondering what to check next. Was thinking about compression test or checking the heads which I've never done. Any help is greatly appreciated!I really want to learn to fix these bikes and maintain properly.

As the engine breaks in jetting changes a bit as does the valve clearance.  Check and adjust ,if needed, the valve clearance.  Hard starting can be a sign of valves out of adjustment.  These bikes also come jetted very lean from the factory and that contributes to hard starting as well.

I have a tutorial for the type of valve adjustments you have on that engine.

How to adjust motorcycle valves

Junk man , about to adjust the valves. Thanks for the tutorial it's perfect. The only hang up here is there is no mark for top center on this bike. What is the protocol now? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408286848.855330.jpg

Figured how to check through the sparking hole for top dead center. Adjusted the valves an it fired up first kick which not has never done. Thanks for your assistance.