Sign in to follow this  

Inspecting crankshaft

Hi guys,

I seized the piston of my new motor and would like to make sure the crankshaft is OK. It's a brand new Honda crank (05-07 style) with only 3 hours of run time, and I've got the whole engine ripped apart. What are some of the things I should look at before putting it back in the motor? My shop manual suggests checking runout and the connecting rod bearing play, but doesn't really provide much details. I have V blocks and a dial indicator, but I'm not sure how to set it up. The manual has a schematic but no real explaination.

I'd like to be confident that this crank will be fine when I rebuild my motor, so any help is appreciated.

Section 10-8 of the official workshop manual tells you exactly what to do and which tolerances you have to look out for. I don´t understand why you say it doesn´t have any real explanation?

Could you explain the diagram with the arrows and dimensions? I'm assuming the big arrows are for where to place the indicator needle on the main bearing journals, but where do the V blocks go?

Thanks!

Think I got it figured out. The two arrows represent the inside of the V blocks and the other two lines further out are where to take the indicator measurements. If that's the case, I've got about 0.001 in. of runout on either side (spec is 0.002), and am good to go!

Stick your feeler gauges in the crank and check your side clearance.