Sign in to follow this  

SSR70 pitbike

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist. I have a ssr70 only 6 months old that has become slowly over time impossible to start. Recently went riding and got the bike covered in mud. That's when it started to run poor. Had to keep turning the idle up just to finish the day. I cleaned the bike filter, carb new plug oil. Checked for spark. The only way to start the bike is to roll start. Then I have to get it hot to stay running. It still will die time to time but I can kick start as long a it's hot. The longer it sits the harder it is to start. I am wondering what to check next. Was thinking about compression test or checking the heads which I've never done. Any help is greatly appreciated!I really want to learn to fix these bikes and maintain properly.

Hello,

It sounds like the valve clearances need adjusting, 4thou on inlet and 6thou on exhaust and you should be all set. The other thing that might have happened is the air filter let a bit of dust into the carburettor, which then passes it into the combustion chamber causing a loss of compression and power. Because the dust gets between the piston, piston rings, and cylinder, then works it's way into the bottom end of the engine. That means it wears out your WHOLE engine over time. If this is the problem you can either clean carb, drain oil a couple of times on short intervals to try and clean it the dirt-which is the easy way. The harder thing to do would do a top end rebuild or rebuild the whole engine. BTW dust getting thru will make your valve clearances change. It sounds more like your valve clearances to me though.

Good Luck.

Jake

Thanks Jake it was the valve clearance! To my surprise it fired the first kick which not has never done before. Absolutely amazing how well the bike runs now. Few additional questions now if I may. 1) why or what happens to make the valves come out of adjustment? 2) how often should or do I need to check? Thanks

Every 5 hours? on a pitbike really? Don't even check them that often on a 450 moto bike... The bike was brand new then was ridden for 6 months. All new bikes or freshly rebuilt engines go thru a break in period, where at the parts(piston, valves) seat themselves so they require a check usually around the 15-20 hr Mark. After that I would do it after every 50 hrs or so, or if you notice it being hard to start or they start making noise.

Every 5 hours? on a pitbike really? Don't even check them that often on a 450 moto bike... The bike was brand new then was ridden for 6 months. All new bikes or freshly rebuilt engines go thru a break in period, where at the parts(piston, valves) seat themselves so they require a check usually around the 15-20 hr Mark. After that I would do it after every 50 hrs or so, or if you notice it being hard to start or they start making noise.

Its not a written in stone rule its just good practice. It takes literally 2 min to check and adjust valves on them and they are cheaply built and often abused and over revved. For some of us that put more $ than makes any real sense into them its never a bad idea to over do basic servicing. Hell I change my oil every 5-10 hrs riding, adjust clutch every ride chain every 2 hours or less, lube cables and bearings before and after every ride, clean carb every couple rides, oil filter before and after each ride. Its a hobby these machines can last for ever and be a blast if taken care of and if you like bush riding there are tons of places these fit that even an xr100 couldn't go let alone a big bike.

Take your clutch cover off and there is usually an adjustment screw. I have never had an ssr but I'm sure there similar to all other horizontal motor pit bikes. The cable adjustment on the outside is fine for on the fly adjusting while riding but if you keep having to take up slack its time to adjust. While the cover is off make sure there is still some clutch plate left to if your nearly metal on metal its time to replace.

Wow... Where do you find time to ride between all of that and the rest of life... Yes changing the oil often and cleaning the air filter is good maintenance, but to clean the carb every couple rides? Valves ect? It can be done but its not really needed...

Wow... Where do you find time to ride between all of that and the rest of life... Yes changing the oil often and cleaning the air filter is good maintenance, but to clean the carb every couple rides? Valves ect? It can be done but its not really needed...

I spend a lot of time fixing small engine's for extra $. The more you do it the faster you get its not that much work any more.