Sign in to follow this  

Help.. Oil leak.

I have an oil leak that seems to be near the front sprocket of the engine.  Chain gets wet with oil and when the bike sits a small puddle forms.  I have pressure washed the engine and removed the skid plate, ran the engine and checked for leaks.  It seemed to be coming from my slave cylinder for the clutch so I tighten the bolts that pass through the front chain guard (mineral oil in the clutch).  No effect.  It is definitely oil.  My engine overheated twice before this happened. I am thinking this may have something to do with it.  My next step was to remove the front sprocket and see if I can locate a leak.  Any suggestions? 2005 KTM 450 EXC

IMG_0511.jpg

Chances are that it is the CS seal. Usually a good clean with cotton tips and repack with grease stops the CS seal leaking. 99% of the time they leak its just dirt and grass in the seal causing the leak. Not usually worn out.

Chances are that it is the CS seal. Usually a good clean with cotton tips and repack with grease stops the CS seal leaking. 99% of the time they leak its just dirt and grass in the seal causing the leak. Not usually worn out.

+1 no the CS seal, remove it and clean everything up. Make sure your washer has preload.

To clarify, what does the CS stand for in "CS seal"? I am assuming I must remove the front sprocket and that this seal is covering my final engine drive and the seal keeps this shaft and it's bearings sealed from contaminants.

OK. I have a repair manual for my engine. I think you are referring to the counter shaft. Unfortunately the manual does not show much. I will search for a video or pictures on line to see if I can do this myself.

Behind the sprocket is the counter shaft seal. If your uncomfortable removing the seal in fear of damaging it, then do as the first suggestion. use cotton swabs to remove the debris. Should do the trick.

This may be a good excuse to buy myself a better torque wrench!  Anyone know how much ft/lbs the bolt should be tightened to?

Guys, don't answer someone with abbreviations! Especially someone that mentions the countershaft sprocket as the front sprocket. Yikes, please forget abbreviations. It isn't 'cool'

• Like 1

From memory it's about 40 ft/lb's. While you're buying the bigger wrench grab yourself a 1/4'' n/m wrench for all the smaller bolts on the bike.

Guys, don't answer someone with abbreviations! Especially someone that mentions the countershaft sprocket as the front sprocket. Yikes, please forget abbreviations. It isn't 'cool'

Abbreviations ARE cool when you type with 2 fingers :p

Ok.  I put the bike up on my box today and noticed some in and out play in the sprocket. Also the washer spun freely.  It should be tight correct? I removed the sprocket and cleaned the visible part of the seal a bit with a rag and WD40.  I am attaching a picture.  I rechecked my chain tightness before this and found it to be perfect per the manual. So there is not supposed to be any play is there?  The washer should not spin freely, correct?  The seal looks good to me. Could this loose play of the sprocket be the sole cause of the leak?  Should I replace the washer or just put it on tighter?  I cleaned the area with a rag and WD40 before taking this picture.  It looks like it could still be a little cleaner.  I should probably pull the seal and clean and repack it. No obvious grass or dirt in the seal. 

IMG_0557.jpg

I think I need to at the very least replace the bolt and washer.

Edited by Daveofds

The shaft play is normal. Correct, the washer should not spin around.

The sleeve between the seal and shaft will come out making cleaning the seal lips easy. Be sure to remove the o-ring if it doesnt come out on the spacer. If you replace the o-ring, replace it with the o-ring from a 2t of the same era. They are a bit thicker and put more tension on the washer.

Before you buy a new washer hit the inside of it with a ballpein hammer to create more of a concave. Works in  most cases.

IMG_0559.jpgWill guess what, there's no O-ring!
What is a 2t?

Edited by Daveofds

Have a look right in on the shaft where the inside edge of the sleeve was sitting the o-ring sometimes stay on the shaft and is hard to see.

2t is a 2 stroke

Pete

No rubber o-ring, but this was hanging loose inside so I pulled it out.

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0565.jpg

Edited by Daveofds

Thats the spring out of the seal. I would say it would be best to replace the seal now. That spring keeps the tension on the seal lip. Also check the spacer for grooves and replace if you can feel any.

Easiest way that I know of to remove the seal is to drill 2 very small holes in the metal part of the seal. Then screw 2 small self-tapers in and use them to pull the seal out  with pliers etc.

Went ahead and replaced the bolt, washer, spacer, seal, and o-ring today.  The bolt had lock tight already on it (see pic).  Price was about $34.00 with tax at my area KTM dealer.  Getting the old seal out was the hardest part (see pic).  I drilled it and put a screw in it as pictured in that link I posted earlier.  I DO NOT recommend that technique! If you must, countersink a dent in it before putting a drill to it.  Without that drill hole however, I don't know how I would have gotten it out without weakening it enough to put a small tear in the seal (rubber ripped out by then).  I finally got it out using a pair of needle nose pliers by gripping the torn edge so I could pry it out over my countershaft.  Concerned about damage I did to the surface of the ball bearing retention collar in the process.  Mistakenly pried on it and also marred the outside in one spot.  Countershaft spun freely before and after I put the sprocket on. Rode about 30 miles on backroads and no leak.    Countershaft sprocket was hot to touch after parking about a minute or two, but I am pretty sure it would normally be that hot.  Used an oversized socket (as dealer suggested) to tap it in.

IMG_0567.jpgIMG_0570.jpgIMG_0571.jpgThanks for all your suggestions!