Sign in to follow this  

'82 RM250 Restoration thread

I like the clutch pipe! What you have there is the "godfather" of modern day mx bikes. Are you headed towards factory original? It appears to have a later (84/85) swingarm. I didn't know they swapped.

Edited by ickfinger

I like the clutch pipe! What you have there is the "godfather" of modern day mx bikes. Are you headed towards factory original? It appears to have a later (84/85) swingarm. I didn't know they swapped.

How about that hole, huh? Thats one gnarly bash.

Im trying to get close to factory original. This is my first real restore, however, not my first rebuild.

What makes you say its an 84/85 swingarm? I wouldn't be surprised, this bike has been far from 100% for a long time...

81/82/83 swingarm had a sticker that said "full floater". 84/85, "full floater" was hard anodized onto swingarm.

Original "Full Floater" was all yellow letters sticker, outlined in black. That ones only got yellow "f"'s followed by blue letters. Def 84/85

Oh, I think thats just a sticker. Ill check today.

Edited by ickfinger
  • Like 1

I believe the swingarm is correct because the end is boxed as the 1982 Z model had.

1984 and 1985 had a different end to the swingarm with different chain adjusters.

I believe the swingarm is correct because the end is boxed as the 1982 Z model had.

1984 and 1985 had a different end to the swingarm with different chain adjusters.

Do you think its a Z model? Ive really been trying to figure that out.

1981, 1982, and 1983 Suzuki RM-250s had that style of swingarm.

I'm calling it a 1982 just because that's what you're saying the bike is, even though the 1982 RM had a black frame (that you say has been painted blue).

By the way, the Suzuki model year code letters around that time period were:

X =  1981

Z  = 1982

D  = 1983

The VIN stamped into the frame should let you know the model year.

Is the VIN 17 digits?

If so, what's the 10th digit?

The letter C means 1982 model.

The letter D means 1983 model.

• Like 1

1981, 1982, and 1983 Suzuki RM-250s had that style of swingarm.

I'm calling it a 1982 just because that's what you're saying the bike is, even though the 1982 RM had a black frame (that you say has been painted blue).

By the way, the Suzuki model year code letters around that time period were:

X = 1981

Z = 1982

D = 1983

The VIN stamped into the frame should let you know the model year.

Is the VIN 17 digits?

If so, what's the 10th digit?

The letter C means 1982 model.

The letter D means 1983 model.

Already looked into this, 1982. 10th is a C. Someone definitely painted it. I took some 220 grit to the frame (gonna powdercoat it anyway) in one spot and you could see it go from paint, to primer, to bare. Ill look into the model (D or Z) later, I just lost my job today and I dont really feel like working on anything right now.

Already looked into this, 1982. 10th is a C. Someone definitely painted it. I took some 220 grit to the frame (gonna powdercoat it anyway) in one spot and you could see it go from paint, to primer, to bare. Ill look into the model (D or Z) later, I just lost my job today and I dont really feel like working on anything right now.

I'm also sorry to hear the job thing...I know that would impact me heavily...just remember, when one door shuts, another is opening if you're watching for it...keep your eyes and ears open, and it'll happen...

I'm also sorry to hear the job thing...I know that would impact me heavily...just remember, when one door shuts, another is opening if you're watching for it...keep your eyes and ears open, and it'll happen...

Might as well explain since I put it out there.

Did you know you can't work in an automotive shop unless you're 18 in NYS? Well neither did my boss.

And thats the story of how I worked in a garage for only 2 weeks. Yeah, im just 16. It kinda sucked, I was kinda upset, but now I get a 2 week vacation until school fires up again. More time to :ride: