'82 RM250 Restoration thread

So about color schemes and models and whatnot.

Ive decided to keep the 83/84 swingarm and just sand off/paint over the old Full Floater logo, and put on a model-correct one.

Mine has a blue seat cover, so im assuming at one point it had blue fork dust covers too. But then I see other ones and get slightly confused, because they have black seat covers and black fork dust covers (not shown on the below pictures).

Other than that, im working on knocking the rust off and getting everything cleaned up.

1408643349099.jpg

1408643360011.jpg

Update: Decided I wouldn't do the powdercoat. Rather, plastidip with a gloss finish, and a clear protective enamel over it. Thats on the frame. Engine is going to get high-heat gloss black paint and ill try to find a high-heat clear enamel. The clutch cover, pegs, and pedals will get powdercoat.

Im prepared to get hollered at over this. I plan to treat it as a show bike and sell it as such.

Like I mentioned above, im out a job. Im only 16. Not made of money.

ALRIGHT, Hold everything, heres the plan. I have to tackle some stuff that I cant take care of, such as powdercoat, bearing pressing (maybe...thinking about rigging something up...), and exhaust repair. Let me show you THAT one if I didnt already before.

Quite the pipe hole. Gonna go to a local fab shop and see what it would take to get it welded up.

After that, im gonna start at the engine. Lets work on that first.

Also, how do I take off these radiator mount things?

Is there supposed to be a bearing in this top part of the head tube? (A string of beads came out and promptly disintegrated)

Where can I find spokes? How about cushion lever bearing sizes? (Not paying $25/bearing! Ill find the same size for more than half that)

1408769134924.jpg

1408769222737.jpg

1408769271504.jpg

So about color schemes and models and whatnot.

Ive decided to keep the 83/84 swingarm and just sand off/paint over the old Full Floater logo, and put on a model-correct one.

Mine has a blue seat cover, so im assuming at one point it had blue fork dust covers too. But then I see other ones and get slightly confused, because they have black seat covers and black fork dust covers (not shown on the below pictures).

Other than that, im working on knocking the rust off and getting everything cleaned up.

'82

1982_rm250_pic_450_zps8c8a2192.jpg

'83

1983_RM250-500_cat-page_900_zps8a39d6fa.

I rode 82-83 RM 250s for years and still have one. The 82 had 38mm forks, single leading shoe front brakes and steel rods on the floater for a easy ID. The 83 had 43mm forks, double leading shoe front brakes and alloy rods for the floater. The cylinder head was different between the 2 also. Just from what I see it looks like a 82.

Ed

I rode 82-83 RM 250s for years and still have one. The 82 had 38mm forks, single leading shoe front brakes and steel rods on the floater for a easy ID. The 83 had 43mm forks, double leading shoe front brakes and alloy rods for the floater. The cylinder head was different between the 2 also. Just from what I see it looks like a 82.

Ed

Later tonight maybe ill go back out and measure all that. Already found a pic on the difference of the head and will compare later.

You said you have an 82? Blue or black seat? Im still confused on that...

Alright, check this out. Tusk wants $30ish shipped for a clutch hub tool and it'll be here next week? Yeah right!

$5 locking C pliers out of the bargain bin at advance auto. Cut the rivets for the feet out, bent the tabs sideways, cut them to size, and whalah. $5 clutch hub holder. Works on sprockets too.

1408840541095.jpg

1408840552253.jpg

1408840568236.jpg

Problem.

Motors off an 83, frame is an 82, and as said above, swingarm is an 84 or 85. Motor is just going by the head. Its an 83 head. I have the engine ID #s if that changes anything, if anyone can read them. Oh yeah, forks are 38MM too.

So...this brings me to a halt. I think I might give up. Im short on cash, its a mismatched bike...I just don't have the time. My car is falling apart, school is starting back up, im out a job...might throw a piston in it, get it running, and sell it to someone as a toy for $800.

:(

My seat was changed and I don't recall what the stock ones were. If it was mine I would put it together with what you have and ride it, they are a blast to ride. BTW the one I have left is part 82 and part 83, just what it takes to keep these old girls going.

Ed

My seat was changed and I don't recall what the stock ones were. If it was mine I would put it together with what you have and ride it, they are a blast to ride. BTW the one I have left is part 82 and part 83, just what it takes to keep these old girls going.

Ed

My brother said he wants to start riding. There were too many kids for his football position so he was given up because of how the list worked. Which sucks...but anyway, I think a 250 will be to big for him. Maybe ill trade it for a TTR or something.

• 5 years later...
On 8/19/2014 at 11:16 AM, lethalweapon100 said:

Might as well explain since I put it out there.

Did you know you can't work in an automotive shop unless you're 18 in NYS? Well neither did my boss.

And thats the story of how I worked in a garage for only 2 weeks. Yeah, im just 16. It kinda sucked, I was kinda upset, but now I get a 2 week vacation until school fires up again. More time to :ride:

image.jpg

image.jpg

19 minutes ago, Pygmy Warrior said:

You do realize this thread is 6 years old...right?

That means the restoration/rebuild should just about be finished and ready for unveiling, haha

• Haha 1