Sign in to follow this  

Waterproof bearings...

I have around 100 hours on my 500EXC, and while I had it on the stand today, I noticed that the front wheel bearings are getting sloppy.  I'm sure that it's because I've forced water into the bearings when I was power washing it, and now they are getting worn out.  I would have thought that should have lasted longer than they did, but if I forced water by there, that makes sense why they crapped out.

Has anyone ever tried these:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Pivot-Works-Water-Tight-Wheel-Collar-and-Bearing-Kit-p4720236.html

These are "water tight", for whatever that's worth...

CADman_KS

They wouldn't make much difference IMO. It would still let water in between the wheel spacer and seal. Plus with everything tightened up the wheel spacers would be butted up against the centre spacer not leaving much chance for water to get to the bearings through the spacers. A lot of the water in bearings would enter in creek crossings IMO. Hot bearing cold water would do the trick.

Got over 200 hours on my wheel bearings, lots of water crossings and washings. I take mine out of the hubs once a year, pop the seals off the bearings and repack with my favorite grease. I use THIXOGREASE, on all my bearings, made by Powerup. Any good quality grease should do the trick. I fill the hub with plenty of grease, been working for me.

They wouldn't make much difference IMO. It would still let water in between the wheel spacer and seal. Plus with everything tightened up the wheel spacers would be butted up against the centre spacer not leaving much chance for water to get to the bearings through the spacers. A lot of the water in bearings would enter in creek crossings IMO. Hot bearing cold water would do the trick.

You may very well be right. I am NOT trying to refute what you are saying about water getting in on crossings only, but I can probably count the number times on both hands that I have had this bike across water crossings. With that said, every water crossing that I have done on this bike is probably a maximum of 6 inches deep, so it's not like I have been driving it through really deep water. Nor will I ever drive it through really deep water, because around here we just don't have those types of crossings.

That is part of the reason that I am really surprised that the bearings have gone out already already. That's why I am pretty sure it's because of me power washing.

CADman_KS

Got over 200 hours on my wheel bearings, lots of water crossings and washings. I take mine out of the hubs once a year, pop the seals off the bearings and repack with my favorite grease. I use THIXOGREASE, on all my bearings, made by Powerup. Any good quality grease should do the trick. I fill the hub with plenty of grease, been working for me.

I never have packed mine. Maybe that's part of the problem. I just figured they were sealed bearings and there was no way to pack them.

CADman_KS

I never have packed mine. Maybe that's part of the problem. I just figured they were sealed bearings and there was no way to pack them.

CADman_KS

Yeah the sealed bearing thing is a joke IMO. Get some new bearings, pop off the seal with a small screw driver and you will laugh at the vasoline that comes in these bearings. Repack with some good grease, reinstall the seals and your good to go.

• Like 1

I ended up getting the PivotWorks bearings.  I figured that it can't hurt, and it only costs a little more for the kit.  Time will tell, I guess...

CADman_KS

It's not so much water that pooches bearings as it is dirt. Combine that with sub-standard bearing materials coming from China and you have a perfect design for premature bearing failure. If your going to buy bearings, buy quality bearings that are made in places like Japan where the materials and quality are better....

• Like 1

It's not so much water that pooches bearings as it is dirt. Combine that with sub-standard bearing materials coming from China and you have a perfect design for premature bearing failure. If your going to buy bearings, buy quality bearings that are made in places like Japan where the materials and quality are better....

The PivotWorks end caps read "PivotWorks" on them.  That doesn't tell me where they are made though.

I'll see how I get along with these.  It's not like they are a break-the-bank kind of thing...

CADman_KS

The PivotWorks end caps read "PivotWorks" on them.  That doesn't tell me where they are made though.

I'll see how I get along with these.  It's not like they are a break-the-bank kind of thing...

CADman_KS

Generally, pivot works and other like bearings are going to be made in china/taiwan/thailand. Look up SKF next time that you have to replace bearings. I usually either go that route, or go to the local bearing supply house and they generally can match them up with a sealed bearing that they have in stock. 

Stay away from the bearings with the pressure washer, no bearing seal is going to keep that much pressure out. It's called washing your bike to death. ;)

• Like 1

Bellray marine grease. Ever use it. Problem solved. As long as you have a decent seal to keep out dirt or majority of it you'll double the life. Well in my area i have. Before installing the new bearing pop off the plastic cover and pack with bellray marine then install. The marine grease is like silcon paint almost and when you sink the wheel under water it wont impregnate the bearing surface.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/544-884?utm_source=none&utm_term=%5B74947197250%3Aproduct_type_l1%3D%3Dvehicles%20%26%20parts%26%2Bproduct_type_l2%3D%3Dland%20vehicles%26%2Bproduct_type_l3%3D%3Dmot&adpos=1o2&creative=42616808650&device=m&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAjwpcGfBRDni__JqrTIqx4SJAB9BpSO1fdkeUqTKzZV8nakCt9TtVK2SRuW-w8LykFzsn2MnRoCxIDw_wcB

1408295651669.jpg

• Like 1

I have around 100 hours on my 500EXC, and while I had it on the stand today, I noticed that the front wheel bearings are getting sloppy. I'm sure that it's because I've forced water into the bearings when I was power washing it, and now they are getting worn out. I would have thought that should have lasted longer than they did, but if I forced water by there, that makes sense why they crapped out.

Has anyone ever tried these:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Pivot-Works-Water-Tight-Wheel-Collar-and-Bearing-Kit-p4720236.html

These are "water tight", for whatever that's worth...

CADman_KS

I took the inner seals out of my bearings and installed a grease fitting in the hub. Fills the whole hub full of grease and you can hit it with a couple of pumps to push the water out after cleanin

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408296326.551724.jpg

• Like 3

Now there's a man with good maintenance practices. Maintain it properly and it should last long just like it has for you. Preventative maintenance.......maintain it so it doesn't break rather than waiting for something to break and then fixing it. Good on you UH-1H. You must be a helicopter man.

I took the inner seals out of my bearings and installed a grease fitting in the hub. Fills the whole hub full of grease and you can hit it with a couple of pumps to push the water out after cleanin

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408296326.551724.jpg

Love you grease nipple in the hub idea!

I've done this on the steering head of bikes in the past with great results, no need to pull it all apart for greasing or bearing changes if they are left to dry out.

I've got a set of new rear bearings (enduro engineering) to go in my 08 450exc, I think I'll be combining a few of the ideas written in this thread, you guys have some smarts, thanks.

Edited by rosok

Nope just a lazy maintenance guy who's too tired to work on my stuff after fixin everybody else's stuff all day. So I like to only have to do mine "once".

That way when I do get a day off, I can ride. Instead of more work on my own stuff. Lol laziness is the mother of all invention I say

Edited by Kawracr 173
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408296326.551724.jpg

I like the idea.  How did you get that hole drilled in there, and get it tapped?  Did you have your wheels unlaced?

CADman_KS

I like the idea. How did you get that hole drilled in there, and get it tapped? Did you have your wheels unlaced?

CADman_KS

The grease fitting I used is a "drive" in zert. Requires no threading. Just drill in this case 3/16 hole with right angle drill. Then tap it in with a hammer. But the right angle drill is only way I'd say to do it without unlacing it.