Piston change CRF 450 2014

When Are you guys changing the pistons on your 2014. I know what it says in the manual but was wondering when you've changed them. I'm a pretty fast Inter b rider & change the oil + filter 2-3 hrs max & air filter every ride. I am quite a smooth rider and not bouncing off the rev limiter all the time but I do rev it out.

Thanks in advance.

I change my 450 pistons at 50-60hrs, I can feel a noticable performance increase when the new one goes in. Light trail riding you can do up to 100hrs. Anything above 150hrs and you are really tempting fate.

This just came into the shop.

Here's what happens when your lax on maintenance intervals.

The owner tells me the motor had around 50 hrs and was at WFO when it let go.

It looks lit the bottom of the piston broke free from the top and let the rod slap free.

The crank pushed the High Compression piston to TDC, and the rod couldn't pull it back down since it was no longer attached

In the mean time the cams were telling the valves to open doing further damage.

This is from a RMZ250 but the result would be the same for any motor.

Cases.jpg

bucket.jpg

download.jpg

valves1.jpg

valves2.jpg

Wiseco Piston.jpg

• Like 1

I change my 450 pistons at 50-60hrs, I can feel a noticable performance increase when the new one goes in. Light trail riding you can do up to 100hrs. Anything above 150hrs and you are really tempting fate.

I just spoke to my local Honda MX dealer today and he said with good maintenance (air filter every ride ,Oil and filter every 2-4 hrs it should have no problem lasting 50-60 hrs  so you are spot on.

Thanks ?

It looks lit the bottom of the piston broke free from the top and let the rod slap free.

The crank pushed the High Compression piston to TDC, and the rod couldn't pull it back down since it was no longer attached

Mother of God! I would just light the rest of the bike on fire and start over :(

those piks of the suzuki are nice but its a suzuki not a honda, i ride vet A in new england i  wanted to see how long a top end would last knowing dam well that if i blew it up id part it out , well i won two championships on my 08 450 never adjusted the valves and ran the piston to 100hrs, whipped a piston in it this past winter, there was no power difference valves didt need adjusting, and its good to go, other then the clutch basket fingers looked like u culd comb your hair with them, i have run spectro 10-40 semi syn and changed it every 3 hrs, but i think i pretty much got lucky id say 75 hrs is fine its a 450 and your name is not villapoto u aint going to feel a power difference

• Like 1

It's never a Good Look