Sign in to follow this  

02 rm125 rebuild

I bought what I thought was an 05 RM125.  Turns out it was an 02, so I'm making the best I can out of it.  I bought it in pieces, but it had a TON of new parts that were warrantied from Wiseco.  They were all 05 parts and all but the piston work out just fine.

Here is how I bought it:

565970f8-4f77-4716-bc6c-c23ed828957d_zps
891_zps13f1cdce.jpg
894_zps5da6a514.jpg
893_zps46a66aa4.jpg

Here are some of the parts cleaned and the new cases with all new bearings ready for the new crank.

I added a Boyesen RAD valve

Eric Gorr is cleaning up the head and redoing the dome for a flat top piston.

Parts work I'm pondering

frame protectors

different seat cover

It's been fun, but I got WAY more than I bargained for!!!!

Under cut your tranny and make sure there's no wear on the gears. Big problem on the rm's is the soft metal the transmission is made out of. But besides that ride the hell outa it I don't see to many clean rm's in my area, but the ones that are nice are sickk.

No longer have the bike but here is my before and after pics. Tons of work went into this one. Know the feeling of never ending work. But it pays off

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, I got the head back from Gorr and it looks great.

I had the lower end of the motor assembled, so I put the piston on and dropped the cylinder down.  So far, so good, until I kicked the bike through slowly!  The piston kept going past the top of the cylinder!

DAMN!  I took it back off, and went to search on the web some more.  Wouldn't you know it, the 05 crank/rod assembly is different.  I was told differently before when this project started.  I ordered the correct crank and got the motor back together.  

Hopefully, I'll get some pics tonight, or soon at least.

Under cut your tranny and make sure there's no wear on the gears. Big problem on the rm's is the soft metal the transmission is made out of. But besides that ride the hell outa it I don't see to many clean rm's in my area, but the ones that are nice are sickk.

I didn't under cut the tranny, because I didn't know what it was!  I spent some time riding it this weekend and 2nd gear pops in and out!  It's time to split it apart and under cut it.  What a dumba$$ I can be.

The only other part it needs is come serious cleanup in the low end jetting.  After reading out here, it sounds like a leaner slide would fix that issue.  I'm going to worry about the tranny first.

Edited by danman

I didn't under cut the tranny, because I didn't know what it was! I spent some time riding it this weekend and 2nd gear pops in and out! It's time to split it apart and under cut it. What a dumba$$ I can be.

The only other part it needs is come serious cleanup in the low end jetting. After reading out here, it sounds like a leaner slide would fix that issue. I'm going to worry about the tranny first.

Haha danman it's all a learning experience. If I remember correctly somewhere in your post you said you have new bearings in the bottom end, did you replace the tranny bearings to? If not I would do that before it goes back together may be an extra 80 bucks but hey added insurance and piece of mind. Then go out and rip it!

Haha danman it's all a learning experience. If I remember correctly somewhere in your post you said you have new bearings in the bottom end, did you replace the tranny bearings to? If not I would do that before it goes back together may be an extra 80 bucks but hey added insurance and piece of mind. Then go out and rip it!

Yeah, every bearing in the motor is brand new, so I'm good there.

thanks.