Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

jump started 650xrl with car battery now its dead what did i fry?

Recommended Posts

     Hello everyone fng here had a dead battery in my 2001 650 xrl  jumped it with a car battery I had laying around and think I fried something (duh) nothing at all now did I cook my starter relay or cdi or what thanks   tonka1269

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you hook it up backwards by any chance?

 

I would look for a blown fuse first.  I've started bikes many times using a car battery and had no problems at all.  I always make sure that the car is off, but if it's hooked up correctly it works well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jump shouldn't have affected anything if you hooked up the cables correctly. 12 volts dc is 12 volts dc. Think of the battery as a gas tank....a given hose size will always dispense gas at a certain flow rate with gravity feed(12v dc) but it may be a 1000 gallon tank or 100 gallon tank(1000 cold cranking amps (cca) or 100 cold cranking amps. The larger battery just supplies more CCA. The larger draw the item has the more amps it uses. Starter motors require a certain amount of amps to turn the engine and these amps are used up when you crank your engine with the electric motor(starter). Lights, horn, etc will usually take less. Your charging system will replace these amps back to the battery while the engine runs so that you can use them again and again. Shorts trips will not allow enough time for your charging system to replace these amps and you should probably invest in a battery tender. Most batteries will last from 1-5 years depending on how you take care of them. I have had batteries that were in bikes that I only rode a few times a year and didn't use the battery tender(life 1-2 years). Other bikes I used the battery tender all the time and the batteries lasted 5 years or more. I would check your fuses first in the battery box. Then check connections and switches. If you had something touching when you hooked up the red cable, you may have blown the fuze. I would check that first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Hi tom00013, thanks for the reply        the problem I had was after a couple cranks something popped or fried and now everything is dead. I checked the fuses there ok polarity was ok nothing shorted or arced with jumper cables just everything is now dead. I read in manual NOT to jump from a auto it said it would cause trouble but that was after the fact I don't see what difference that would make either  still playing dead... thanks tonka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now the fun begins. Check your safety switches(clutch/kickstand), run switch, ignition switch, starter relay, grounds, etc. Could be something as simple as a ground problem. I don't have a wiring diagram but I think someone posted the schematics once in a post, so you may be able to do a search and find them. Hopefully you have a multimeter or test light. A multimeter is more useful but you can get by with a test light if you have a charged battery. From your description, I would start from the battery and see how far you can go and still get voltage. If I remember correctly, voltage goes through a fuse, then the ignition switch, starter switch, then to the starter relay. If you have voltage that far, start checking your safety switches as they provide the ground for the relay. There are many ways to check this but it is hardly ever the first thing you check. Good luck.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be all you really did was find the actual problem... starter could have been binding up, or there may have been a loose connection that finally gave way, or the brushes in the starter may have finally worn out, stuff like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...