Clear Motor Covers in the works

Hey guys,

Fairly new member here, if you read my introduction post you will know that I have been creating various engine case prototypes. I have an interest in them and have a few new photos to share with everyone, long term plans include to manufacture these and offer them to the public. Let me hear some feedback from what everyone thinks! These are the starter and engine oil filter cover, my next piece will probably be a clutch cover.

Best regards,

Logan Lawrence

20140816_171557.jpg

20140816_170016.jpg

20140816_172741.jpg

• Like 2

I have an interest in them and have a few new photos to share with everyone, long term plans include to manufacture these and offer them to the public. Let me hear some feedback from what everyone thinks! These are the starter and engine oil filter cover, my next piece will probably be a clutch cover.

Looks like an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

• Like 1

Weight compared to stock?

I really don't see this being a good ideal? Are you using polycarbonate that is suited to be exposed to UV light?  It would be ugly if it discolored.

Also this stuff would just be covered in oil most of the time, doesn't seem like you would see much. 

I don't know, my opinion is this wouldn't be something I would spend money on. Everyone is different though. However, I think there is a reason clear valve covers and differential covers never catch on. (As they have been made for cars/trucks many times in the past.)

If the polycarbonate stayed reasonably clear , dealt with the heat ok , didn't crack and  resisted deterioration from the Esters found in good oil .... I think it would be a great idea for keeping a monitor of your engine oil condition..eg/.water in the oil , oil change time etc would be much more obvious...sorta like an over sized crankcase sight window... :thumbsup:

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 3

The material shouldn't have an issue dealing with the temperatures that the motor generates, I'll be doing some field tests this week to see how things go. Valve covers would be cool as well and I may look into those as well.

• Like 1

The material shouldn't have an issue dealing with the temperatures that the motor generates, I'll be doing some field tests this week to see how things go. Valve covers would be cool as well and I may look into those as well.

If it works out, put me down for a set..... :thumbsup:

Lexan probably wouldn't shed heat enough for a valve cover, would be cool to watch the cams spin though. I've seen clear clutch covers that yellowed after a few years, that's the main thing I'd be worried about.

Dry clutches with clear/open covers look amazing

• Like 1

Yeah .. A Clear valve cover for the short term , sure .. They would degenerate fairly quickly .

It would be interesting to see .

Frequent replacements if yellowing occurs..?....I guess depending on cost or the " I Want It " factor.....lol

• Like 2

Back in the late 70`s early 80`s malossi used to sell clear float bowls for dellorto carbs . I bought a set and could never get them to seal well . I am not sure whether it was the leaking fuel or the heat , but they went yellow very quick , so needless to say I swapped them for the original soon after . I do like the idea of being able to see whats going on and when the oil is looking bad , so if you can get past the distortion and discolouring problems , they will sell like hotcakes , greg

• Like 5

Hopefully these won't lose their color too quickly, I'll keep everyone updated on how things develop. I put a total of 30 miles on them last night with two complete heat cycles using the original gasket and there was no leaking, the biggest problem I found was that I looked like a crazy person looking down by my peg every time I started the bike so I could see the bits moving around lol.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Fairly new member here, if you read my introduction post you will know that I have been creating various engine case prototypes. I have an interest in them and have a few new photos to share with everyone, long term plans include to manufacture these and offer them to the public. Let me hear some feedback from what everyone thinks! These are the starter and engine oil filter cover, my next piece will probably be a clutch cover.

Best regards,

Logan Lawrence

attachicon.gif20140816_171557.jpg

attachicon.gif20140816_170016.jpg

attachicon.gif20140816_172741.jpg

that's way cool ! i'd be concerned about the stresses the starter would put on the clutch though, and if that cover would hold up. it would be really really bad if it broke and the clutch kicked sideways while engaged. :(

machining a clear valve cover would be a realy undertaking unless you have a 3d scanner and a whole bunch of software to crunch the numbers with.... and heat... ouch, it gets HOT under there !