Sign in to follow this  

Why can't I wheelie in 2nd gear?

I must be retarded or something. I can do first gear clutch up wheelies with EASE, no problem, 4-5k rpms, clutch up, ride it out. When I try to do the same thing in second gear I get nothing, once-in-a-while I will pop the front tire and inch. I'm currently riding a 2002 Honda F4I. Advice for my novice ass would be wonderful.

Thanks!

My advice is to cover the rear brake when you wheelie , it's a safety option .

You could lower the overall gearing to give you more acceleration ... At the expense of top speed and fuel economy .

+1 on this, went over backwards on my buddies yamaha a few years back...I'm definitely no wheelie expert, but that was enough to make me keep my foot over the rear brake. Looping one bike was enough for me!! Ride safe!  :D

Edit: it was a yamaha trail bike, not a street bike. Sorry I left that out, I've never ridden a sport bike and have no idea how they handle wheelies lol

Edited by SwampMan843
  • Like 1

I already have gone down 1 tooth up front, stock in the rear. I keep my foot over the rear brake, I just can't seem to get it up in second gear :(

Maybe try sliding back on the seat a little? It helps me a ton when I try to wheelie my DRZ. I'm pretty big boy (bout 250 all suited up) and just sitting back on the seat the stock drz will pull me up quick in 1st...and your Honda has WAY more power than my bike. Also I've seen youtube guys put a foot back on their passenger pegs when they wheelie their sport bikes, seems like that would help you shift your weight back and maintain your balance. (This is simply a guess though, again I'm far from a wheelie expert lol)

I also do all of that :(. Besides moving my rear leg on the back peg. I just don't get what I'm doing wrong. 

http://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/whats-hp-rating-2003-f4i-88307/ You mentioned pulling it up in first with no problem around 4-5k, Here's a dyno chart for a 2001 F4I. It shows the torque really jumping between 6-8k rpm, maybe 2nd requires a just a little more throttle?? Keep working on it man you will get it! Sorry I can't help you much man, I'm not skilled enough to ride a big wheelie down the road, I mostly do 1st gear on fire roads and down the driveway before and after my ride Lol

http://cbrforum.com/forum/general-tech-9/whats-hp-rating-2003-f4i-88307/ You mentioned pulling it up in first with no problem around 4-5k, Here's a dyno chart for a 2001 F4I. It shows the torque really jumping between 6-8k rpm, maybe 2nd requires a just a little more throttle?? Keep working on it man you will get it! Sorry I can't help you much man, I'm not skilled enough to ride a big wheelie down the road, I mostly do 1st gear on fire roads and down the driveway before and after my ride Lol

Thanks for the reply, perhaps I just need to man up some more and try at 6500rpms.

• Like 1

If that's an inline 4 600cc you will need quite a bit of speed to get the RPMs sustained high enough to clutch up in 2nd. My 2 cents.

I used to wheelie mine in 6th gear but it had a 60t rear sprocket lol. My first thought was that your clutch might be slipping, but maybe no if you're getting it up in first. You might just have to rev the crap out of it before you dump the clutch. That's how I got it up in 6th, damn near full throttle, pre bounce, and dump the clutch. Also I did mine staggered with my left foot on the passenger peg

CBR 600 will wheelie in second .. give it a quick buzz up to around 40 - 50 in first .. as you go for second give it a big lump of revs and pop the clutch really sharp ..your talking giving it a good big lump .. more than courage that comes with practise will let you ..  build up to it .. but they come up pretty smooth once you get it right .

Thanks for the reply, perhaps I just need to man up some more and try at 6500rpms.

No problem bud!  :thumbsup:

Thanks for all the replies, I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, since it's raining today!

I must be retarded or something. I can do first gear clutch up wheelies with EASE, no problem, 4-5k rpms, clutch up, ride it out. When I try to do the same thing in second gear I get nothing, once-in-a-while I will pop the front tire and inch. I'm currently riding a 2002 Honda F4I. Advice for my novice ass would be wonderful.

Thanks!

I used to clutch for wheelies....bad idea for your street bike clutch...it's not a dirtbike and doesn't like the abuse, trust me.  Find a really long straightaway, tac up to about 9-11k in second gear (~60-70mph), stand up and bounce while pinning the gas.  That's how you ride long wheelies on the street.  As soon as you learn how to ride standup wheelies, you'll realize you've been doing it wrong. :)