Sign in to follow this  

500 exc overhaul hrs/miles?

If this has been beaten to death, forgive me. I searched, couldn't pin it down. 

I am torn between either a new 690 or 500 (def lust more for the 500exc). It needs to be street legal as I will commute about 100kms/60miles back and forth to work 4x a month, 6 months out of the year. Beyond that, there are endless forest roads, single/double tracks and a motocross track just out my back yard and up the mountain. I love the idea of either bike, but the 500 screams fun louder (and obviously the moto track is out for the 690). My only concern is that the 500 exc is going to be prohibitively expensive to maintain. I don't mean oil/filter changes, etc., but top and bottom end rebuilds.

So, my real question is: What kind of hrs/miles before heavy maintenance can I expect? A guy who will never race, but does ride hard in the woods and occasionally on the track and commutes the amount I mentioned (bit of freeway, the rest thru town)? I'm trying to talk myself into the 500. I can live with its road manners, its not what I want it for. I want a proper dirt bike that doubles as summer commuting transport (I take a ferry to work, gets busy unless you're on two wheels). That said, KTM seems to suggest a bottom end rebuild is do pretty freakin soon after purchase? I can't afford that kind of maintenance.

I chatted with a KTM salseman yesterday who figures I should be able to go @ least 15 or 20,000 kms /9-13000 miles before a rebuild, the way I intend to ride. Does this sound reasonable to anyone? I COULD live with that.

Thanks for any advice. I'm pretty f***ing stolked to own a dirtbike again soon!

Hundreds of hours, change the oil every 20 hours or so, will last a long time.

The EXC is absolutely the best for trails but definitely not so good for the track...the suspension is just way too soft. If I was you, I would look at the new husky 500 something. ..it has way better suspension

• Like 1

Hundreds of hours, change the oil every 20 hours or so, will last a long time.

Seems reasonable. Maybe think about cracking her open every 2-21/2 or 3 yrs. 

The EXC is absolutely the best for trails but definitely not so good for the track...the suspension is just way too soft. If I was you, I would look at the new husky 500 something. ..it has way better suspension

Good to know. I'm ok with that, its going to live on trails and logging roads  mostly, only a bit of putzing about on the track.

Thnx guys.

Your riding sounds very much like mine.  I commute to work, except daily for me, around 12 miles total / day.  Not much, I realize, but I do put a LOT of road miles on my bike compared to woods, trail, track riding.

For me, the 500 is just the perfect "all-around" bike.  It's not the greatest "road" bike, and riding 60 miles, while doable, may be a strain in stock configuration.  I would think at a minimum, you would want a different seat.

All that being said, I would think that a LOT of road riding would translate into at least the 9-13,000 miles before even touching the motor.  Change the oil, check the valves (at an even longer time interval than noted in the manual), and you'll be fine.

While I do not own one, and have never ridden one, if you have any desire at all to do track / woods riding, the 690 would NOT be a good fit for that at all.  I think that the 500 is your best bet, and I wouldn't be concerned about the schedule in the manual in the slightest.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

CADman_KS

Thanks for the insight, Cadman.

've been thinking about it alot, kind of adding up the hrs I will likely put on the bike, how I'll put them on, etc. I think the 500 is the right choice for many moons to come. I don't really care about comfort for my little commute, it's broken up by a forty minute ferry, a twisty road if I like, downtown stop-and-go. It will be all about the woods and logging roads, so yeah, the 690 is looking more and more like a less than ideal bike for me. I was thinking an aftermarket oil cooler might keep me out of oil changes a little longer as well (with some increased capacity), but maybe not. Might just make me not change it after some dusty offroad when I really should change it. We'll see...

Cheers.

2015HusqvarnaFE350Sweb-1.jpg

This is the 350,has no kick starter.if that matters. :rant:  Don't know about the 500 but thought the suspension would be the same since they say its the same bike.

Husky/Husa/KTM? They might be a little bit different, but who wants to mess with success? Enduro bikes are gonna all be pretty similar me thinks. Thought about the Husky S model, amd the Beta street enduro, but KTM is alot easier to find and deal with service, etc., in Canada.

..., but KTM is alot easier to find and deal with service, etc., in Canada.

This was one of the major contributing factors for me getting a KTM.  I can not only go local and get anything that I need, I can go online, and literally find a dozen places that make any "stuff" for my bike that I'm in the market for.  

The other brands don't have all of the aftermarket stuff...

CADman_KS

• Like 1

Husky is made by KTM. It's simular to how Lexus and Toyota are

Edited by Yomo