Sign in to follow this  

Noisy front sprocket

Awhile ago I had new front and rear sprockets installed,a previous workshop had fitted new sprockets for me and they had done the front sprocket up so tight that the new workshop I went to had to upgrade his rattle gun to get the sprocket off,took a lot of effort to get off,new sprockets are awesome but the front sprocket makes quite a racket when you spin the wheel and when riding,this noise was not there previously,will a new counter shaft seal kit fix this problem? how will I be able to tell if there is any internal damage from the effort of removing the tight front sprocket?

Unless he jacked on it with a hammer the front seal should be fine. More damage is done running a tight chain. If it is bad it will start to weep some oil. Check your chain sliders on the swing arm for wear. Was a new chain installed? These pigs are notorious for chain noise. I run an alloy skid plate with TM designs guide and sliders. Make a hell of a racket but man does it wear well.

• Like 1

Have noticed no oil leak yet,have always run new chains and sprockets with each swap,the noise has only surfaced after the trouble of getting the front sprocket off,even just wheeling the bike around in the garage is very noisy,something definately happened,chain slider is ok for wear and the chance of it making a horrible noise all of a sudden would be slim I thought? I do have a new polisport slider sitting in the garage so may just fit that and see what happens to the noise,can these be fitted without taking other things apart?Although I am pretty confident that the noise is from the front sprocket.

Is it possible the bearing is shot? That would explain the noise if that was the problem...CS could have been over torqued, affecting the bearing?

• Like 1

That sounds more like it,it took a lot of torque on the rattle gun to get it off,how major is swapping a new bearing in likely to be?

I took a short video of the noise....sounds worse in person

Edited by ozglenn

The stock CS has a rubber insert. I noticed when I went after market I had to be really careful not to over torque the CS to the shaft. A quarter turn back eliminated all binding and noise.

Ok Ill try cracking the nut loose and re torquing to factory spec,pretty sure it already is though.

You can take the chain off and spin the CS to see if it is the new chain making the noise or the CS. I was thinking the torque spec was around 200 ft/lbs for that nut. My bet is it is the new chain. Is it a slight bit wider than the last chain? Seems like there is a huge difference in 520 chain width's out there.

The chain is the same specs as what came off,a vt2 came off and vx2 went on,will try spin the sprocket without the chain next time it's off and see what happens,but first ill loosen the  nut and tighten to factory spec and see if that makes a difference

I believe the cs torque spec is around 80 to 90 ftlbs of the top of my head. Coming from the factory they crank that SOB and it has taken some people to resort to air guns to get it off.

97.3 ft-lb for CS sprocket nut per manual.

Remember that you have that lock washer that bends to keep nut secure so no need to over torque this nut if you do it properly.

• Like 1

From memory it took a 600ft lbs rattle gun maxed out to remove it after previous workshop fitted it.

• Like 1

From memory it took a 600ft lbs rattle gun maxed out to remove it after previous workshop fitted it.

Sounds just like mine! Lol.

My first time I use a 1/2 breaker bar with 4ft pipe on the end. I put a bar thru the wheel and arcoss the swingarm to hold it. I put the hurts to the nut and pow, I broke off 2 spokes and didn't budge the stupid counter shaft nut. LOL

Now I use an impact wrench every time.

• Like 2