Sign in to follow this  

2000 YZ 125 shifting problems

I have a trans issue with my YZ, after rebuilding it my nephew (very qualified 2 stroke mechanic) put it together and noticed while riding it that it won't shift past 3rd gear, shifts up/down fine except no 4th or higher gears. He pulled it back apart and can't find anything wrong. These constant mesh trans are different than any trans I've ever messed with (I'm a diesel mechanic) so I can't help him out so I was hoping someone here has some ideas. He just installed me a new crank and top end so yes he split the case, but he's worked on many bike with no issues. Suggestions??

Something is obviously wrong, so open the cases back up and look everything over carefully. It could be as simple as having a washer in the wrong location! Put the transmission back together exactly as the manual shows. Then before bolting the cases back together, you can "shift" it thru it's gears by hand verifying that everything is good to go. All you have to do is to spin one of the shafts while rotating the shift lever thru all 5 gears, and while it won't shift all that easily, it still should go thru all 5 gears.