Sign in to follow this  

Hitting the rev limiter a little too early?

I'm still trying to my bike's jetting dialed in perfectly and it's at a point now where I'm quite happy with it except for one factor, it seems like the rev limiter kicks in way too early.

I clocked my bikes speedo with GPS to read about 5 km/h high so I adjusted the speeds:

- 1st: 60 (kph on bike) ~ 56 kph = 35 mph
- 2nd: 84 (kph on bike) ~ 79 kph = 49 mph
- 3rd: 100 (kph on bike) ~ 95 kph = 59 mph

With no freeway close to where I live I can't really test out 4th and 5th's limits very easily without risking jail time.

Are these what I should expect from the bike? It's an 09 with stock CV carb, corked MRD SSW, DJ jet 155 with a 3x3 that was done too big and I have tapped back down to propper size.

Is this the reality of 400cc's or should I expect more kick from this pony?

You're gonna hit the rev limiter if you try. Just remember, it's a single cylinder 400cc dirt bike that makes 33hp stock. It's not an arm stretcher.

• Like 3

Rev limiter kicks in to early.....lol........

It's there for a reason o'l mate, if you want it to rev more and destroy your engine I can show you a way to disable it .... :smashpc:

Those speeds are fairly decent on a general purpose single 400cc with a CR gearbox...

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

I'm still trying to my bike's jetting dialed in perfectly and it's at a point now where I'm quite happy with it except for one factor, it seems like the rev limiter kicks in way too early.

I clocked my bikes speedo with GPS to read about 5 km/h high so I adjusted the speeds:

- 1st: 60 (kph on bike) ~ 56 kph = 35 mph
- 2nd: 84 (kph on bike) ~ 79 kph = 49 mph
- 3rd: 100 (kph on bike) ~ 95 kph = 59 mph

With no freeway close to where I live I can't really test out 4th and 5th's limits very easily without risking jail time.

Are these what I should expect from the bike? It's an 09 with stock CV carb, corked MRD SSW, DJ jet 155 with a 3x3 that was done too big and I have tapped back down to propper size.

Is this the reality of 400cc's or should I expect more kick from this pony?

it's made to grunt and pull nicely to around 7500rpm, then it tapers off. if you change cams and timing of them, you could move the power up to a higher rpm, but then you're at REALLY FAST piston speeds, and i doubt the oiling system is up for it. 

btw, living far from the interstate is this bike's dream territory. enjoy it, interstate SUCKS. 

:)

• Like 1