Sign in to follow this  

Enduro rider getting into MX HELP!

Hey guys this being my first post and all im not expecting much help but if anyone could give a pointer in the direction i want to be going that would be great! 

So basically my issue lies at, I have an Enduro bike (ktm 250 excf 07) and I have recently taken much interest into Motorcross track riding. 

With a bit of research people have turned away from MX'ing enduro bikes due to added weights and gearing. I pretty much ride the KTM without plate/indicators/handguards. Im really caught up in what I should do here. Purchase an MX bike or stick with MX'ing the enduro? 

Input would help, Cheers. 

Personally I would ride the enduro bike for MX until you start gaining results.

This way if you decide you want to go back to enduro. You haven't sold your bike.

Some on here believe that a enduro bike can't be raced in MX.

Well I don't believe that hype.

Basically because I did race my 250exc,300exc,380mxc both for MX and H/s sometimes on the same weekend.

Its more being comfortable with the bike and its abilities then a weight issue.

Any rider worth his salt will agree.

Now if you want to listen to the brotocrossers!

They will tell you you need a Honda or Yamaha 2t MX bike only with titanium pegs, aftermarket exhaust lightest possible parts available at a cost of $15,000.00 to race c class. Oh and don't forget your flatbill!

^^^^

Too much?

Lol

Edited by ridngslikecrack
  • Like 2

Flatbill? Haha I don't wear hats and only ride mx tracks. There's an old saying it's not the bike but the rider. Most enduro bikes aren't a problem for me but there was one guy last week on a 525 with headlight and desert tank that smoked me. Ride the bike you have until you know if you want a mx bike( different tran ratio, higher comp). Then if the track suits you... Welcome to the dark side

• Like 1

Personally I would ride the enduro bike for MX until you start gaining results.

This way if you decide you want to go back to enduro. You haven't sold your bike.

Some on here believe that a enduro bike can't be raced in MX.

Well I don't believe that hype.

Basically because I did race my 250exc,300exc,380mxc both for MX and H/s sometimes on the same weekend.

Its more being comfortable with the bike and its abilities then a weight issue.

Any rider worth his salt will agree.

Now if you want to listen to the brotocrossers!

They will tell you you need a Honda or Yamaha 2t MX bike only with titanium pegs, aftermarket exhaust lightest possible parts available at a cost of $15,000.00 to race c class. Oh and don't forget your flatbill!

^^^^

Too much?

Lol

honda yamaha ktm kawasaki whatever you want doesn't matter to me.2 stroke for fun 4 stroke if you want to be competitive not saying you can't be competitive with a 2 stroke but it's easier on a 4 stroke.Aftermarket parts do what you think should be changed but a suspension revalve is always a must in my book.
  • Like 1

Thinking about it last race I did there was a plated wr450 in the vet class tearing it up. He had a horn and would honk at oncoming riders. Kinda makes me want a horn just for that reason

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will just stick with the Enduro bike until really know where I stand

I guess Ill get the indicators back on and indicate into my turns whilst warning oncoming riders with a beep when nearing. 

Thanks a lot :) 

• Like 2

honda yamaha ktm kawasaki whatever you want doesn't matter to me.2 stroke for fun 4 stroke if you want to be competitive not saying you can't be competitive with a 2 stroke but it's easier on a 4 stroke.Aftermarket parts do what you think should be changed but a suspension revalve is always a must in my book.

Lol

This thread aught to get interesting.

• Like 2

Thanks for the help guys. I think I will just stick with the Enduro bike until really know where I stand

I guess Ill get the indicators back on and indicate into my turns whilst warning oncoming riders with a beep when nearing.

You may check local rules.

Some won't let you run lights. Most allow no kickstands.

But its no big deal. Just remove them and set them aside.

Then later you have them to put back on if you wish.

You may check local rules.

Some won't let you run lights. Most allow no kickstands.

But its no big deal. Just remove them and set them aside.

Then later you have them to put back on if you wish.

Never a problem to remove a ktm stand, they just fall off! HAHAHA

I'll have to do a read up none the less

• Like 1

Never a problem to remove a ktm stand, they just fall off! HAHAHA

I'll have to do a read up none the less

That they do.

I guess they have to save weight somewhere, so by the kickstands falling off. Makes it competitive. Lol

• Like 1

I think that wr had his left turn on the entire race... It's called a eventual turn

• Like 1

I think that wr had his left turn on the entire race... It's called a eventual turna wr was definitely made for the track

Change the suspension clicky things, take off the lights and stuff, add bar ends, maybe swap bashplate for a lighter skidplate if you really want, buy a big packet of stickers and race the enduro bike. I raced all of my mx races on one, only difference really was the stator and electric start. I'd recommend leaving the horn on though :)