Sign in to follow this  

Static sag vs. Free sag

I've revalved and resprung my 2009 KX450 with Race Tech components and have some questions about spring rate. I'm 198 pounds and installed 0.48 front and 5.8 rear springs according to their DVS results.

Checked my rear sag today and it's 102mm under my weight (wearing gear) and free sag is 42mm. It also feels like there's almost no preload on the rear spring. If you Google free sag or rider sag you get a big difference in range, anything from 20-30mm to 25-50mm. Do I need to go down to a 5.7 rear spring to get my free sag under 30mm or am I ok since it's under 50mm? If so, do I need to get softer fork springs to keep things balanced? 

Edited by jermag24

I've revalved and resprung my 2009 KX450 with Race Tech components and have some questions about spring rate. I'm 198 pounds and installed 0.48 front and 5.8 rear springs according to their DVS results.

Checked my rear sag today and it's 102mm under my weight (wearing gear) and free sag is 42mm. It also feels like there's almost no preload on the rear spring. If you Google free sag or rider sag you get a big difference in range, anything from 20-30mm to 25-50mm. Do I need to go down to a 5.7 rear spring to get my free sag under 30mm or am I ok since it's under 50mm? If so, do I need to get softer fork springs to keep things balanced? 

How does it ride?  Seems like you are at the stiff end of things....

Edited by Blutarsky

.48 fork springs are good for your weight but a 5.6 shock spring would have been better.  I dont like to use shock springs that are too soft but on the KX you could use the the stock spring and that would be closer than the 5.8. We have a ton of guys around your weight on the std. 5.5 which is really 5.4 when measured or the next rate up 5.6/5.7

Ken

Factory Spec Suspension

.48 fork springs are good for your weight but a 5.6 shock spring would have been better. I dont like to use shock springs that are too soft but on the KX you could use the the stock spring and that would be closer than the 5.8. We have a ton of guys around your weight on the std. 5.5 which is really 5.4 when measured or the next rate up 5.6/5.7

Ken

Factory Spec Suspension

seems to us the kawis like a stiffer rate front and rear