Sign in to follow this  

Crf250r cylinder head

Will it work if I use my cam and bridges

Maybe.

The head and bridges are line-bored together and then each piece is marked so they remain as a set.  You can see the numbers marked on each piece.  The cam alignment is critical.

Having said that, we will now see 6 posts from riders who have swapped and had no problems... :rolleyes:

Check it out:

Big bore and top end info

http://rickramsey.net/CRF250Xbigbore.htm

:ride:

I'm sorry for all the comments by me but I have to know because I don't want the guy to sell the head on me. It should work right? People do the r cam in their x and is it just put the cam in and all is good? If so shouldn't the r head just bolt up

The R head works fine on the X, a missing cam cap is the issue about the head you want to buy.

Did you read the info provided in the link that ramz posted, theres alot of good information there that could help you answer some of the questions you have.

Ya I read it and all I worry about is the cap/bridge, the guy said he over tightened it and it broke. Ramz said it is only a maybe my cap/bridge will work in it. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408385270.099314.jpg but what I'm Thinking is if the little part that kinda over hangs fits shouldn't it be good?

Ya I read it and all I worry about is the cap/bridge, the guy said he over tightened it and it broke. Ramz said it is only a maybe my cap/bridge will work in it. attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408385270.099314.jpg but what I'm Thinking is if the little part that kinda over hangs fits shouldn't it be good?

I dont know what part your talking about here for sure, but I think I would recommend getting a different head.

Get one thats new or good and ready to bolt on so you dont have to mess around with missing or damaged parts.  

I am guessing your talking about the small round dowel pin, and that really isnt the area of concern. Like what ramz said if the alignment and spacing/sizing of the different cap you want to install is different from the original it could cause problems, but It may work ok to use one from a different head. 

Just seems to make to make more sense to get a good or new head ready to bolt on rather than mess around with a used one that is missing a cam cap and probably needs the seats cut at a minimum and possibly some guides replaced, your call.

As previously posted the the cam bridge is machined installed on the head and they are a matched set.  If you mix parts you will have different clearances for the cam bearings; maybe too tight, or maybe too loose.  Honda also line bores other overhaed cam heads  like those used on the XRs.

My recommendation is to pass and buy a complete head.