Sign in to follow this  

1980 Suzuki PE 250 Restoration

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408252608.349923.jpg

Hello my name is Drew and I'm new to this community. I saw an ad on craigslist for a run down dirt bike for very cheap. The model is a 1980 suzuki pe 250. I've always wanted a bike like this, and after seeing it for that cheap I'm convinced that it's something that's almost too good to pass up. It Needs carb intake- says the original rubber one has cracked and is rotted out. Also the shift fork bent, and wont go into 2nd gear but rest gears work fine.

I'm very interested in mechanics, and have worked on go karts and other small projects, but nothing like this before. What I'm asking is how hard would it be to fix up something like this, and could it be done on a budget of a few hundred dollars. Thank you for your time.

• Like 2

Talk to junkman.

Also talk to yz490devil.

Both of them i know, could give advice on old bikes and restoration.

• Like 1

I bought one about that vintage for $250 and it ran. I still paid too much for it. Even if it's free figure you might have $1000 in it before it's good and reliable. They were not that great a bike so unless you really want one I would look for another bike.

Fwiw mine needed new shocks, then promptly ate a crank two rides later. Cost $350 to rebuild 20 years ago and I had spare cylinders and head from a rm. it wouldn't have been a good deal if I had got it for free.

I bought one about that vintage for $250 and it ran. I still paid too much for it. Even if it's free figure you might have $1000 in it before it's good and reliable. They were not that great a bike so unless you really want one I would look for another bike.

Fwiw mine needed new shocks, then promptly ate a crank two rides later. Cost $350 to rebuild 20 years ago and I had spare cylinders and head from a rm. it wouldn't have been a good deal if I had got it for free.

To each his/her own.  Personally, I've always been an IT guy, but the PE's weren't bad bikes.  People mistook them mostly because they thought they were getting a motocross bike when in fact, the PE is more a trail bike than anything else.

If it's about the money, then why bother right?  But if it's because of the love you have for bikes, specially if you owned one back in the day and now have an opportunity to get another and restore it, it really doesn't matter what brand or model it is.

To each it's own.

I've got my IT490 at around 70% restored, has taken me over a year to get to this point, but it wasn't so much the need than the desire to restore something I once owned.  I did it to my 83' YZ490 as well as 89' YZ250, and I couldn't be happier with both.

:devil:

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408252608.349923.jpg

Hello my name is Drew and I'm new to this community. I saw an ad on craigslist for a run down dirt bike for very cheap. The model is a 1980 suzuki pe 250. I've always wanted a bike like this, and after seeing it for that cheap I'm convinced that it's something that's almost too good to pass up. It Needs carb intake- says the original rubber one has cracked and is rotted out. Also the shift fork bent, and wont go into 2nd gear but rest gears work fine.

I'm very interested in mechanics, and have worked on go karts and other small projects, but nothing like this before. What I'm asking is how hard would it be to fix up something like this, and could it be done on a budget of a few hundred dollars. Thank you for your time.

You see, you have two types of people in life, those that would look at this bike and tell you what a clapped out POS it is and worthless, then you have people like me that only see it for it's possibilities.  A diamond in the rough.  These are the kind of bikes I'm always on the look out for.  Not because "oh, that's one mean bike I'd like to own" but the desire and fulfillment that comes with "restoring" something like this back to it's full potential.

If you didn't buy it, I certainly would, just to give me the opportunity to wrench it and get and satisfaction of knowing I brought it back to life.

This one is a keeper.  When it's all said and done, you'll really feel good about it.  When you ride it, you'll feel even better.

Sure you can't compare it to what's out there today, but then again, it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Personally, the dirt bike experience for me for the last 30 years of my life hasn't been solely on the purpose of just riding it, but wrenching it as well.

I get just as much out of wrenching than I do riding.  They both go hand in hand.

It's called pride when you restore something like this and finally pull a leg over it, It just doesn't get better than that.

Buying a 12k bike off the show room can never fulfill what I'm talking about.

There is of course the money aspect of it, but when it's all said and done, if you so choose it, you can win back all the money and time spend 10 fold.

• Like 1

You see, you have two types of people in life, those that would look at this bike and tell you what a clapped out POS it is and worthless, then you have people like me that only see it for it's possibilities.  A diamond in the rough.  These are the kind of bikes I'm always on the look out for.  Not because "oh, that's one mean bike I'd like to own" but the desire and fulfillment that comes with "restoring" something like this back to it's full potential.

If you didn't buy it, I certainly would, just to give me the opportunity to wrench it and get and satisfaction of knowing I brought it back to life.

This one is a keeper.  When it's all said and done, you'll really feel good about it.  When you ride it, you'll feel even better.

Sure you can't compare it to what's out there today, but then again, it all depends on what you want to get out of it.

Personally, the dirt bike experience for me for the last 30 years of my life hasn't been solely on the purpose of just riding it, but wrenching it as well.

I get just as much out of wrenching than I do riding.  They both go hand in hand.

It's called pride when you restore something like this and finally pull a leg over it, It just doesn't get better than that.

Buying a 12k bike off the show room can never fulfill what I'm talking about.

There is of course the money aspect of it, but when it's all said and done, if you so choose it, you can win back all the money and time spend 10 fold.

Glad to see that your as excited for this project as I am. However, I'm just worried that with it being my first bike project, a restoration like this just may be way over my head. Even worse, I'd hate to have to cease progress for lack of funding. I absolutely adore the bike, and would really love to get into dirt bikes. I'm really just worried that disaster might strike if I choose to go down this route.

I do realize that this by no means a cheap hobby.

Glad to see that your as excited for this project as I am. However, I'm just worried that with it being my first bike project, a restoration like this just may be way over my head. Even worse, I'd hate to have to cease progress for lack of funding. I absolutely adore the bike, and would really love to get into dirt bikes. I'm really just worried that disaster might strike if I choose to go down this route.

Sorry, I meant to PM you last night, but got caught up with a sick Zune that pretty much took 3 hours to sort out.  By the time I was done, I was so exhausted, all I wanted to do was go to sleep.

So does this mean you've decided not to buy it?

If money is an issue, then I do understand.  This project will indeed take some effort in the shape the bike is, but it will also take a few bucks, probably in the hundreds to get it restored.

I'm not talking showroom condition, for that, you need more than I'm talking about.

Just out of curiosity though, how much is the bike going for?

I'm only asking because if it's really cheap, you might not get another opportunity like this again, at least not with a PE250 which are becoming scares like most bikes from the 80's.

It can seem challenging, but really, restoring a bike isn't rocket science nor does it take thousands to do.  Just a lot of elbow grease effort and desire and of course a few bucks to buy parts that otherwise can never be restored.  Such parts as rubber items that pretty much deteriorate in time.  Plastic such as side plates and covers are something you likely won't find new, perhaps used if it needs to be replaced, but with plastic, like metal and wood, it's workable.

Anyhow, I'll try to write again tonight and give you more of an outline.

But I will say this for now, even if you don't plan on restoring this, if the price is right for the bike, you can always dismantle it and sell it off for parts.

There are plenty of people looking for vintage 80's parts.  Like I said, it's getting harder and harder to find these bikes now that almost 40 years have gone by.

I'll write you tonight for sure.

Again, got caught up in BS and wasn't able to write.  But wanted to know before I did a PM to you if you were going to follow through.  You might want to sift through some of my content if you can find it.  Let me see if I can find something for you right now...................

Here's an old one from last year.  And you guessed it, it's still in the works.  But that's because I just haven't been in such a hurry and I've got another 6 bikes in my garage I DO ride that need my attention more.  But I'm pretty much at about 70% on this thing.  I was hoping to be done with it by this summer, but riding has taken precedence over wrenching this restoration.  Once summer is out of the picture, I'll be back on it again.  You can also find the latest pictures in my Garage too. 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1051301-84-yamaha-it490/page-2?hl=it490#entry11269052

Also, I recently posted some pictures of a tear down on a IT465 I picked up for a buddy in Michigan.  The guy wanted I think it was $300, I offered him $150, he went for it, took it back to my garage, and in 1/2 a day I had it all torn apart ready to pack and ship.  The pictures I took were pretty cool, because it started out as a complete bike, and as the pictures progress, the bikes transformed itself into parts nicely sorted on the floor.  I'll have to look for that thread.  But it might be in TEAM, and if you're a TEAM member you might not be able to access it.  But I could always dig out the pictures too I have somewhere in a folder.

Are you still interested in doing this?  I think the bike is a keeper.  Looks pretty complete to me.  Don't think it will cost you an arm and a leg, but you will need to buy a few things, like a seat cover.  I was checking out the picture you posted.  If this thing was in my area and cheap, I'd buy it just for kicks.

Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to get it ready to go.  I bought a 83YZ490, stuck it in my garage for years that I lost track off.  One day I decided to dismantle the bike and put it into boxes so when I was ready for the restore, it would be easier.  It was years before I even got to those boxes, but now, my YZ490 Devil is one sweet machine.  Antiquated, sure, but sweet like I remember it.  Too back I over did it and blew the rear shock of the thing the last time I rode it.  The replacement after market it going to cost me somewhere around three bills, so that bike is on the back burner this summer until I can get my money together and buy a new shock.

That's why I have as many bikes as I do.  That's why I take two bikes out with me on my trips.  I'll be damned if I'm going to plan out a 3-4 day camping bike trip, haul me and all my stuff out to the DEZ from home which is a three hour drive, and have the bike break down the first 15 minutes I ride it.  So I take two.  But so far so good, nothing major has happened, but that's because I try my best to keep my rigs in the best shape possible.  I depend on them, specially in a 100 degree SOCAL desert.  Last thing you want to do out there and break down 20 miles from camp and have to walk back in 100 degree weather.  Happened once, ok twice, but never again.  So as you can see, I love to wrench, just as much as I like to ride.  They both go hand in hand.

Ok, I've said enough, let me know if you're going to follow through or not.

• Like 1

Again, got caught up in BS and wasn't able to write. But wanted to know before I did a PM to you if you were going to follow through. You might want to sift through some of my content if you can find it. Let me see if I can find something for you right now...................

Here's an old one from last year. And you guessed it, it's still in the works. But that's because I just haven't been in such a hurry and I've got another 6 bikes in my garage I DO ride that need my attention more. But I'm pretty much at about 70% on this thing. I was hoping to be done with it by this summer, but riding has taken precedence over wrenching this restoration. Once summer is out of the picture, I'll be back on it again. You can also find the latest pictures in my Garage too.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1051301-84-yamaha-it490/page-2?hl=it490#entry11269052

Also, I recently posted some pictures of a tear down on a IT465 I picked up for a buddy in Michigan. The guy wanted I think it was $300, I offered him $150, he went for it, took it back to my garage, and in 1/2 a day I had it all torn apart ready to pack and ship. The pictures I took were pretty cool, because it started out as a complete bike, and as the pictures progress, the bikes transformed itself into parts nicely sorted on the floor. I'll have to look for that thread. But it might be in TEAM, and if you're a TEAM member you might not be able to access it. But I could always dig out the pictures too I have somewhere in a folder.

Are you still interested in doing this? I think the bike is a keeper. Looks pretty complete to me. Don't think it will cost you an arm and a leg, but you will need to buy a few things, like a seat cover. I was checking out the picture you posted. If this thing was in my area and cheap, I'd buy it just for kicks.

Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to get it ready to go. I bought a 83YZ490, stuck it in my garage for years that I lost track off. One day I decided to dismantle the bike and put it into boxes so when I was ready for the restore, it would be easier. It was years before I even got to those boxes, but now, my YZ490 Devil is one sweet machine. Antiquated, sure, but sweet like I remember it. Too back I over did it and blew the rear shock of the thing the last time I rode it. The replacement after market it going to cost me somewhere around three bills, so that bike is on the back burner this summer until I can get my money together and buy a new shock.

That's why I have as many bikes as I do. That's why I take two bikes out with me on my trips. I'll be damned if I'm going to plan out a 3-4 day camping bike trip, haul me and all my stuff out to the DEZ from home which is a three hour drive, and have the bike break down the first 15 minutes I ride it. So I take two. But so far so good, nothing major has happened, but that's because I try my best to keep my rigs in the best shape possible. I depend on them, specially in a 100 degree SOCAL desert. Last thing you want to do out there and break down 20 miles from camp and have to walk back in 100 degree weather. Happened once, ok twice, but never again. So as you can see, I love to wrench, just as much as I like to ride. They both go hand in hand.

Been so busy with college stuff the past few days, so I haven't been able to get back to you. I'll definitely have time tonight, have lots to fill you in on. Thanks again.

• Like 1

I would have killed to have this bike about 2 years ago, I have a 1980 it250 and I love it, my brother used to have a 1980 kdx250 so for me to get a 1980 pe250 for my other brother that would have been a great trio.

As for my it 250 she's come a long way it started off all spray painted black and not running, with broken fenders and a smashed up pipe, had her running the next day and rode her for about 2 years in her sorry state then I crashed and shattered my finger was off the bike for a few weeks so I went to work, on it, I bought a pipe. Pulled the fenders and front end off my 1982 yz250 that I blew up and was missing too many parts to be fixed. I stripped all the paint down, in the end I'm into her about 600$ including the cost to buy her. I couldn't ask for a better bike.

So there is hope

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1408565595.714316.jpg

Edited by yamaha_sasquatch
  • Like 3

Been so busy with college stuff the past few days, so I haven't been able to get back to you. I'll definitely have time tonight, have lots to fill you in on. Thanks again.

Cool, sounds promising.  Sounds like you bought it.  Hope you did, but no worries, let me know, and I'll be glad to give you my input as you go along.  There are many here that know way more than me, so you have that resource too.

Talk to you later,

Looks good.  Isn't crazy how people paint these bikes black only making them look more awful?  I see you have a way to go on the plastic, but it sure looks a hell of a lot better than it did.

Little by little.  At least you have it.  In a matter of time whether it's months, years, it will be back to it's show room condition, and believe me, you'll be so proud of it.

My IT490 is not quite there yet, but it's about 70%. Got all my parts restored, so it's just a matter of spending the time to wrench it.  But didn't want to waste this summer on that when I could be burning gas.  So this winter I'm hoping to have it all done.  It's just a matter of time.

You done anything special to it lately?  It really looks good, I like it.  Hell, I like the PE250 the OP posted.  What a diamond in the rough.  I would have fun wrenching that if could find one cheap and work it into my busy schedule.

Edited by YZ490-DEVIL

I was searching for a PE-250 for a while but gave up.  I have an '80 TS-250 and wanted a bike just a little more capable of an off-road machine.  I didn't really "restore" the TS, because I did a color change and that isn't restoring it.  (see pix)  But it definitely is a rider.  I put 150 miles off road last week, which was my big riding week of the year.  Got another big weekend coming up in a few weeks.  BTW- I had a blast!

IMG_0035.JPG

IMG_0034.JPG

Looks good. Isn't crazy how people paint these bikes black only making them look more awful? I see you have a way to go on the plastic, but it sure looks a hell of a lot better than it did.

Little by little. At least you have it. In a matter of time whether it's months, years, it will be back to it's show room condition, and believe me, you'll be so proud of it.

My IT490 is not quite there yet, but it's about 70%. Got all my parts restored, so it's just a matter of spending the time to wrench it. But didn't want to waste this summer on that when I could be burning gas. So this winter I'm hoping to have it all done. It's just a matter of time.

You done anything special to it lately? It really looks good, I like it. Hell, I like the PE250 the OP posted. What a diamond in the rough. I would have fun wrenching that if could find one cheap and work it into my busy schedule.

Haven't done much with her lately, I can't even afford to ride her much anymore. I think next is a new clutch pack and springs and then a full dg exhaust. Also in the future is new yellow fork boots (mine are dry and rotted) nothing real special anytime soon.

Next real big thing (maybe not in the near future but eventually) is rewire the whole electrical, rewind stator, add a voltage reg. battery, led lights, hid lights, gps/computer ,etc.. Put some dot approved shoes on her, then on the road she goes.

Again, got caught up in BS and wasn't able to write.  But wanted to know before I did a PM to you if you were going to follow through.  You might want to sift through some of my content if you can find it.  Let me see if I can find something for you right now...................

Here's an old one from last year.  And you guessed it, it's still in the works.  But that's because I just haven't been in such a hurry and I've got another 6 bikes in my garage I DO ride that need my attention more.  But I'm pretty much at about 70% on this thing.  I was hoping to be done with it by this summer, but riding has taken precedence over wrenching this restoration.  Once summer is out of the picture, I'll be back on it again.  You can also find the latest pictures in my Garage too. 

Also, I recently posted some pictures of a tear down on a IT465 I picked up for a buddy in Michigan.  The guy wanted I think it was $300, I offered him $150, he went for it, took it back to my garage, and in 1/2 a day I had it all torn apart ready to pack and ship.  The pictures I took were pretty cool, because it started out as a complete bike, and as the pictures progress, the bikes transformed itself into parts nicely sorted on the floor.  I'll have to look for that thread.  But it might be in TEAM, and if you're a TEAM member you might not be able to access it.  But I could always dig out the pictures too I have somewhere in a folder.

Are you still interested in doing this?  I think the bike is a keeper.  Looks pretty complete to me.  Don't think it will cost you an arm and a leg, but you will need to buy a few things, like a seat cover.  I was checking out the picture you posted.  If this thing was in my area and cheap, I'd buy it just for kicks.

Just because you buy it doesn't mean you have to get it ready to go.  I bought a 83YZ490, stuck it in my garage for years that I lost track off.  One day I decided to dismantle the bike and put it into boxes so when I was ready for the restore, it would be easier.  It was years before I even got to those boxes, but now, my YZ490 Devil is one sweet machine.  Antiquated, sure, but sweet like I remember it.  Too back I over did it and blew the rear shock of the thing the last time I rode it.  The replacement after market it going to cost me somewhere around three bills, so that bike is on the back burner this summer until I can get my money together and buy a new shock.

That's why I have as many bikes as I do.  That's why I take two bikes out with me on my trips.  I'll be damned if I'm going to plan out a 3-4 day camping bike trip, haul me and all my stuff out to the DEZ from home which is a three hour drive, and have the bike break down the first 15 minutes I ride it.  So I take two.  But so far so good, nothing major has happened, but that's because I try my best to keep my rigs in the best shape possible.  I depend on them, specially in a 100 degree SOCAL desert.  Last thing you want to do out there and break down 20 miles from camp and have to walk back in 100 degree weather.  Happened once, ok twice, but never again.  So as you can see, I love to wrench, just as much as I like to ride.  They both go hand in hand.

First off, I wasn't able to purchase the bike yet because I have limited space in the garage right now, need to sell the go kart before I can go out and buy the bike.  The PE250 is currently up for only 100.  Seems like a steal.  With this said, it needs a new carb intake, plus the shocks will demand some serious attention.  Also the shift fork is bent, which I have been told can lead to a catalog of problems.  My main worry is that I wont be skilled enough to make these repairs.  But then again, I really cant loose considering the price tag.  Parting it out is another excellent idea.  Plus, id definitely learn a whole lot taking it apart and possibly trying to put it back together again. 

To answer your question, im absolutely still interested in the project.  When I first posted this thread, I didn't expect such quick, thorough responses from such a genuine community.  I also needed reassurance that I wasn't just buying a piece of junk. I just need to finish/sell the current project in order to move onto the bike.  I agree that bike not only looks good, but also complete.  Hopefully ill be able to pull the trigger on it here soon.

The riding you described is exactly what I hope to do someday.  Going out camping, and straight up riding for 3-4 days sounds like a dream.

May try to get in contact with the seller over the next few days, will update whenever I can.  Thanks to everyone for the feedback, is highly appreciated.

• Like 1

One item that is going to probably cost the most on making it a rider is the shocks.  You can still buy shocks for dual shock bikes but they're spendy.  When I bought my TS, I searched CL for a parts donor.  Finally found one but it had 1 bad shock.  I haven't needed that good one yet but at least I have 1 useable spare.

• Like 2

Old two strokes are the simplest to work on. Not being an mx adds to reliability of the top end. Being a race enduro (PE stands for Pure Enduro), adds to the fun factor. Great for trails, endoros and hair scrambles.

There's a site with butt loads of info, google pure enduro and you will know when you hit the jackpot. If you cant find it, I can get you a link when I'm on a real computer. I hate phones :D

• Like 3

One item that is going to probably cost the most on making it a rider is the shocks.  You can still buy shocks for dual shock bikes but they're spendy.  When I bought my TS, I searched CL for a parts donor.  Finally found one but it had 1 bad shock.  I haven't needed that good one yet but at least I have 1 useable spare.

I agree, shocks are a real issue.  I blew the shock out on my 83YZ490 a few months back and haven't had the money to invest replacing it as kits for them are scares.

I'm looking at a price tag of around $300 to replace just that.

If anything, the bike is certainly a project, a good one.  I won't lie and say he can get by with just a couple of hundred bucks, but with some time and some thrifty researching, he might get lucky and find a multitude of NOS cheap.  It's just a matter of looking and having a lot of patients.

Bringing back to life a PE250 from the 80's an excellent choice for vintage restoration.

I'd love nothing more than to nab this for just a measly $100 and if I can't do anything with it right now, at least store it somewhere so when I have a chance I can work on it.

Finding it for $100 is a major plus.  Not acting on it, would be a loss.

Like I had told him in a previous post, if anything, (that's why I had asked how much it was going for) this $100 can easily turn into $1000 if he takes the time to tear it all apart and just sell off the parts one piece at a time.  I'm sure someone out there is looking for spare parts for this bike.

If I was him, I wouldn't wait too long as to lose the deal and nab it quick at $100 before it's too late.

As far as space goes, a bike won't take too much space if you pop off the wheels and front forks and just pile it up in a corner somewhere.

First off, I wasn't able to purchase the bike yet because I have limited space in the garage right now, need to sell the go kart before I can go out and buy the bike.  The PE250 is currently up for only 100.  Seems like a steal.  With this said, it needs a new carb intake, plus the shocks will demand some serious attention.  Also the shift fork is bent, which I have been told can lead to a catalog of problems.  My main worry is that I wont be skilled enough to make these repairs.  But then again, I really cant loose considering the price tag.  Parting it out is another excellent idea.  Plus, id definitely learn a whole lot taking it apart and possibly trying to put it back together again. 

To answer your question, im absolutely still interested in the project.  When I first posted this thread, I didn't expect such quick, thorough responses from such a genuine community.  I also needed reassurance that I wasn't just buying a piece of junk. I just need to finish/sell the current project in order to move onto the bike.  I agree that bike not only looks good, but also complete.  Hopefully ill be able to pull the trigger on it here soon.

The riding you described is exactly what I hope to do someday.  Going out camping, and straight up riding for 3-4 days sounds like a dream.

May try to get in contact with the seller over the next few days, will update whenever I can.  Thanks to everyone for the feedback, is highly appreciated.

To be honest with you, you've got me wound up over this bike now.  Where are you located (state) ?  If you happen to be in SOCAL and decide not to get it, I'd sure like to get the lead for it.  Like others have said, you won't find a better deal for a measly $100.  If space is a problem, you could always just pop off the tires and maybe the front forks and just pile it up in small corner of your garage.  You don't necessarily have to do any work on it until you're ready.  But at least when you are, you'll have the bike which is a large part of it all.  Finding a sweet deal like this for just $100 doesn't come around often.  I would suggest you don't wait too long.

But I will tell you this so as to not get you all geared up, this will take time and money.  Not a whole hell of a lot of money, but money you'll need to buy parts that you can't restore such rubber aside from tires.

A carb intake and bent shift fork is nothing.  The more serious things you have to worry about are engine, shocks, forks, major components that go into the 100's.  A shift fork off ebay if you can find it (likely you will) won't go for anymore than $40 or so, same thing with a carb intake.  As a matter of fact, without looking at it, you'd be surprise it may not need a carb intake.  Perhaps it just looks like it because of all the exterior cracks.  It's until you pull it off and inspect the inside that you'll know for sure you need to replace it.  Last carb intake I worked on that looked like it needed replacement didn't.  All I did with smother the exterior with plastic dip, probably 3 or 4 coats and it looked brand new again.  So long as the interior is sound, you probably won't need to replace it.  As for the shift fork, if you're referring to the actual lever, that's a dime a dozen and many after market would fit for a small price.  If it's the shaft, again, being it's a 250 and, you could easily cross reference which other bikes had the same shift shaft and find one off eBay cheap.

Getting it in your possession is the first major obstacle.  Once you have it, it's all down hill from there.

Restoring it will be fun, but if you lack experience in automotive, you'll need to go slow and do a lot of reading.

One thing will have to be an imperative, that you don't screw it up anymore than it already is from lack of experience.  That's why you have us here to ask.  If you get stuck, don't continue in fear you'll damage what ever you're doing.  Take pictures, post here, do the research.

It's like someone else said here, these 2 strokes are one of the most easiest bikes to restore.  There really isn't anything complicated aside from internal engine work.  That's why it's important that you first check out the condition of the motor before you proceed.

Since it can't shift, that's a major negative in not being able to tell if the bike will shift all gears and your gear box is sound.  If it's stuck in gear, you'll be unable to turn the motor by hand and feel the compression it has.

Those are usually the first two things I check on any bike.  I make sure it shifts, and turn the crank by hand to feel the compression.  If it doesn't pas that inspection, then it really becomes questionable, simply because the motor is a major component that will end up costing you more than anything aside from suspension.

As far as suspension goes, well, that's secondary really.  You could put it all back together and just use the same suspension until you get around to replacing or having it rebuilt.

But the motor is always top on the list to make sure it's worth the effort.

Plenty more on this, but really, we have to know you're willing to make the commitment, otherwise all we say here is for not.

• Like 3