Magnum performance kits

A friend of mine has just bought this 94mm piston kit for his real "E" . I havent seen this one before , but it does come with a JE piston and Cometic gaskets , from ATV unlimited , so it should be good , yeah ? Should I know anything special with this or is it the same as my cylinder works kit , which I installed in my SM ? I have noticed the piston does not have any teflon coating on the skirts like my vertex had , will this mean we should assemble it any different to the CW or do we treat it like any other . 

2014-08-17-3741.jpg

He will also be swapping the head from another real "E" with yoshimura cams , we found out his intake boot had been loose and the bike had swallowed a lot of dirt , chewing out the valves . So instead of rebuilding his old head he is going to use the good spare . Will there be any considerations with the yoshi cams , as in excess lift , or should it just be a straight swap ? greg

Just assemble as per usual...

The specs on Yosh cams are around the same as E cams, so nothing irregular here as far as assembly and valve clearance setting..

Dry install is the best practice for new piston/rings install, no oil on the rings, just a couple of drops of oil on the skirts is sufficient and lube the pin..

Probably worth noting the piston to bore clearance... ideally should be .002" to .003" (.050 to .075 mm)

Edited by Craig-o
  • Like 1

Regarding the Piston , All I would do is oil the Piston Skirt ( and the piston pin ) when you assemble .

Have the cams been used before ?

Yes the cams are used , he is going to swap heads as his original needs a valve job and he has the spare with the cams fitted and low k`s

• 2 weeks later...

2014-08-31-3911.jpg

Went over to my mates place with the magnum kit today , and he has got to the point where he has swapped the piston . He is redoing his suspension at the same time , so its a bit of a project . I noticed that there was a dowel sitting in his bash plate , seems old mate did not know the cylinder has dowels to locate it . Five bucks to anyone who can guess where the second one went . I got him to pull up the cylinder and sure enough , no dowels . So after a lot of searching and removing the cylinder and piston , I found it sitting behind the crank . Lucky I went over . He is now going to redo his valves on his head instead of do the swap with the yoshi parts , so I may just hang around and help when he gets it back from the shop , greg

• Like 3

?2014-08-31-3911.jpg

Went over to my mates place with the magnum kit today , and he has got to the point where he has swapped the piston . He is redoing his suspension at the same time , so its a bit of a project . I noticed that there was a dowel sitting in his bash plate , seems old mate did not know the cylinder has dowels to locate it . Five bucks to anyone who can guess where the second one went . I got him to pull up the cylinder and sure enough , no dowels . So after a lot of searching and removing the cylinder and piston , I found it sitting behind the crank . Lucky I went over . He is now going to redo his valves on his head instead of do the swap with the yoshi parts , so I may just hang around and help when he gets it back from the shop , greg

He owes you many many beers....... :cheers:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Took the big bore out for a ride yesterday . We had 2 DRZ E`s to compare , the std bore with yoshi cams and cdi plus CRD slip on and the big bore with revalved suspension and rocket slip on . I rode the std bike first and wasnt impressed with the handling , it kicked off bumps and ruts and the front wanted to tuck all of the time . The engine tho had some nice power . Then I rode the big bore , WOW ! Besides the power , the suspension was unbelievable . Over the same bumps and ruts , it just floated . A couple of times I came up to washouts that scared the crap out of me and the bike just soaked it up . Who cares about big bores , get your suspension revalved , it is IMHO one of the best mods you could ever do , greg 

• Like 4

I am yet another that preaches to do the Suspension First then engine mods as necessary. Its the Indian. Not the arrow. Learn to ride what you have first. A great rider can kick ass on a stock bike cuz he knows how to ride. The same rider on a well suspended bike will wipe the floor with ya. Add engine mods to that package...well just say... I will see you when we stop along the way or back at camp...LOL! ?

• Like 4