Sign in to follow this  

Have 85 XR600.....anyone make a dirt tracker out of it?

Here are pics of a bike a friend let me have for nothing, which I am stoked about it. I was thinking of a project like this for it.

http://crossedpurpose.lincolnblack.com/fmf-belladonna-xr600-tracker/

Anyone have any idea on cost for parts on something like that? I am an engineering student (Petroleum, graduate in May) who will have some free time to take this apart over the winter and do something interesting with it.

I go to school at U of Wyoming, so I can title this thing on the street for Laramie. Was thinking it'd be fun with this setup to run around the little town in.

20140814_135041.jpg

20140814_135053.jpg

20140814_135059.jpg

20140814_135109.jpg

Cost can be as little or as high as you want.

You can hand it to a workshop with a blank check and not get much change from 20k

You can junkyard parts, do 100% of the work yourself, and providing you have all the tools will easily get it under 2k

Either way, whatever the project... Set yourself a budget, and stick to it. But as with any project, expect it to cost AT LEAST double your original budget.

I built a tracker from a nx650 a couple of years back , then decided what I really wanted was an old school type scrambler

so got the angle grinder and welding gear out again,

there's a pic of the tracker buried somewhere in this thread

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1013338-nx650-scrambler/?hl=%2Bnx650+%2Bscrambler#entry10699253

both projects were relatively simple and inexpensive and I really enjoyed the build process ,

helps a lot if you can weld ,

best of luck with your project

I was thinking of a project like this for it.

[url="http://crossedpurpose.lincolnblack.com/fmf-belladonna-xr600-tr

The exhaust is homemade? I would have never guessed.

You're a budding engineer and you want to repeat the same hack job that has been done over and over? How about something refreshingly not butchered that requires some actual skill? The thing is with skill, material costs goes down and the finished product is more refined. You can have it as unrefined as crude or more towards cosmetic grade mineral oil.

Anyway, RIP XR600R.

• Like 1

I chopped it about 5 inches in the body and chopped down the spark arrestor 4 inches, also gutted the insides. gives it a nice sound and not very loud except when you really get up in the revs

The exhaust is homemade? I would have never guessed.

You're a budding engineer and you want to repeat the same hack job that has been done over and over? How about something refreshingly not butchered that requires some actual skill? The thing is with skill, material costs goes down and the finished product is more refined. You can have it as unrefined as crude or more towards cosmetic grade mineral oil.

Anyway, RIP XR600R.

Yes, I was not thinking of doing a "hack job", as I have built/raced Formula Contiental open wheel cars in my past. I simply wanted to look at a starting point with some other bikes that had been properly fabricated and engineered.

Then start with a blank sheet and build a frame. If you are the fabricator you claim to be, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Many moons ago, there was a company that wanted to improve the off road performance of the XR600R, so they started with a blank sheet.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/664271-whats-it-worth/

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/816026-atkxr-600-kit/

#1-Not once did I ever claim to be a master fabricator. 

#2-Why the &%$#@! would someone spend the hundreds of hours to fabricate a frame around a single-cylinder, slow ass bike? (Yes, these bikes are SLOW. Hop on a Ducati Panigale 1199 sometime, you'll experience what I mean).

#3-You come off as a curmudgeon who is pissed off that someone would want to cut a 30+ year old design frame that was created before AutoCad/Solidworks were even invented.

#4-Do you think I would spend the hundreds of hours in Solidworks to make a steel chassis? Honda ditched that shit years ago, for a reason. 

#5- I'm taking a plasma cutter to this piece of shit and posting pics of it just to spite you. 

Then start with a blank sheet and build a frame. If you are the fabricator you claim to be, then it shouldn't be a problem.

#1-Not once did I ever claim to be a master fabricator.

#2-Why the &%$#@! would someone spend the hundreds of hours to fabricate a frame around a single-cylinder, slow ass bike? (Yes, these bikes are SLOW. Hop on a Ducati Panigale 1199 sometime, you'll experience what I mean).

#3-You come off as a curmudgeon who is pissed off that someone would want to cut a 30+ year old design frame that was created before AutoCad/Solidworks were even invented.

#4-Do you think I would spend the hundreds of hours in Solidworks to make a steel chassis? Honda ditched that shit years ago, for a reason.

#5- I'm taking a plasma cutter to this piece of shit and posting pics of it just to spite you.

I think the bobber/cafe thing suits you just fine Charlie, you have the can-do attitude to pull it off. I know you're up to the challenge and will put a lot of hard work into it.

A plasma cutter is too new of technology for the job though, you should take your own advice about old stuff, use TNT. Please take a video, I'd like to see the finished project.

Edited by Onederer