Sign in to follow this  

help me not turn orange

i have always been a red rider since day dot, MR50 Z50 numerous honda quads XR100 XR250 XR400 CRF450R CRF250R CRF450R CRF450X minus a husaberg hiccup in the middle somewhere...

currently i have a crf450x but i am interesting in going to a 2 banger... i can't help but feel my 450x is an outdated heavy piece of gear. (mind you i still prefer a carb than efi... i know call me weird, but thats just me)

i am trying not to turn to that orange army.... but can't help but feel they are on top of the game atm, with their product backing and extensive range....

when will honda start putting some interest back into the enduro market and stop regurgitating an old bike,  and more specifically in a 2 stroke form??

cheers

nick

• Like 1

There is also Beta, GasGas and Sherco. All make very good two stroke bikes for the woods.

• Like 1

I feel the same about the growing amount of KTM bikes that are everywhere now days, everywhere you look it's just orange......it's like a plague! A virus infecting the dirt bike world.......Are they really any better than everything else? Or are the owners just cashed up sheep, following each other blindly? Is this the future of enduro bikes? Honda and the other 3 jap brands are just sitting back and letting it happen?

I went into a ktm shop yesterday and i tell you what the new KTM's 2 or 4 stroke are awesome looking machines, It was hard, very hard for me not to leave with the new ktm 300 in the back of the truck. but what stopped me was my new to me 2002 cr250 i paid $1500 for instead of the 8,000 or so price tag on a new ktm. you know how bad ass my cr250 would be if i put half of that ktm price tag into it?

• Like 1

i have always been a red rider since day dot, MR50 Z50 numerous honda quads XR100 XR250 XR400 CRF450R CRF250R CRF450R CRF450X minus a husaberg hiccup in the middle somewhere...

currently i have a crf450x but i am interesting in going to a 2 banger... i can't help but feel my 450x is an outdated heavy piece of gear. (mind you i still prefer a carb than efi... i know call me weird, but thats just me)

i am trying not to turn to that orange army.... but can't help but feel they are on top of the game atm, with their product backing and extensive range....

when will honda start putting some interest back into the enduro market and stop regurgitating an old bike,  and more specifically in a 2 stroke form??

cheers

nick

Something else to think about:  I recently checked prices on some major components for my 2014 KTM 150SX and everything costs twice as much as the equivalent OEM Honda part for my CR250.  Plus, there's some pretty funky engineering on my 150 - everything goes together completely differently than any Japanese bike I've ever owned, and the owners manual is among the worst I've ever seen.  I love the bike, but I'll probably get rid of it before anything major wears out.

For 2 stroke ; the Yamaha is hard to beat. The CR is good , but you're going to need some specific mods to be happy.

If you're a trail rider, which I assume you are having a 450x, I have no opinions to share.

• Like 2

yesh the new ktms look pretty darn good i must say too. i have a few mates that ride the kato's and i do like them minus a a few small and easy to fix quirks that i dont like

i have been looking at getting an 06 or 07 cr and turning that into the weapon i want, i will just have to keep an eye out for one, but the older i get the more i love that magic button i tell ya. 

socket - the 2 banger i want will be for a mix of desert racing and just normal whooped out tracks that i ride. i wouldn't call myself a trail rider, i live in the desert so everything is pretty fast and whooped out, but they're are some good natural tracks around here too with tight big berms and the like.... i stay off the circuit tracks because i cannot jump, i have tried but i am just crap at it. 

beta is red! well said  

I have always had Hondas and bought a ktm in November of last year! My honda is now a buddy and pismo beach (sand) bike. It was going to be a track bike too, but my street legal ktm exc350 is now my track and trail bike and it does it so much better then my cr250! Turn to the dark side my friend! I love my ktm and doubt I will ever go back to honda again! I'm considering trading my cr in for an exc300. Don't get me wrong cr's are awesome! I just now am in love with ktm! When honda produces a street legal crf450x from the factory I'll probably go back but until then no thank you on xl series and whatever else they have that is street legal!

Take it from someone who has had both.

I had a 12' 300XC, I now have a woods built 01' CR 250 and wish I had a Beta 300.

The good and the bad!

KTM is a good bike...with some draw-backs!

The good

Great motor, clutch system, brake systems, gearing, fairly realible and the ergos fit me well.

The bad

Bike is too tall, heavy (feels like it carries the weight high), does not turn well in the tight stuff (front pushes) suspension is bearly ok even after a revalve, linkage hangs low, the bike has a long chassis...probably why it pushes.

In the open high speed stuff the bike is good...just does not work well in tight tech slow speed singletrack.

The CR

The good

Bike is light, great!!! realibility, handling is awesome, suspension is good with a revalve, height is fine for me, brakes are good, clutch is great with the magura hydro kit....I'm in it cheap and I have more fun on it than I had on the XC.

The bad

No E-start, no 6th gear, even with all the upgrades I did to the bike it still does not grunt down low as good as the KTM or the Gas Gas 300 did.   Their is a narrower window between lugging out to a stall and climbing on the pipe...So...it takes more work and finess to ride in the tech stuff, more so with elevation changes. Some times you have to hammer down to get up the steep grades, where the 300 can still lug up them.

I ride with a few guys that have Beta 300s so I got some good seat time....great bike, lugs even better that the XC, sits lower, handles great, very good suspension right out of the box, you can cold start the E-button, feels lighter than the XC did (feels like that mass is positioned lower in the bike) so far no realibility problems....I can't find anything bad to say about the bike...ok I can...." I can't aford one"

^ Pretty much nailed it IMO. 

Take my opinion and low post count with a grain of salt, this hobby was always a number 2 or 3 behind my rockcrawlers and mtn biking up until recently. I got tired of ORV parks closing and having to drive 4+ hours to ride somewhere so I cashed out and am getting more into riding again. 

If I HAD the cash to buy new, and I say cash because I refuse to ever finance a toy, it would be a newer KTM or Beta 300 2t simply because well, why not? They are good machines. Not to say you can't find an older 300EXC. They pop up from time to time in good shape around here but sell quickly when they are priced reasonably. 

I'm a cheapA$z and I love projects and to tinker with my bikes when I'm not out riding so the idea of getting an older CR and making it a trail bike is the route I am going. I sold my CR125, well a 144 when I was done with it, a few years ago when I moved and wasn't able to ride anymore which was dumb and I should have just let it sit, it was a fun and relatively light bike that I could throw around. It was a lot of fun for ripping up fire roads and double track around the house and riding in Mtn City, TN and Harlan, KY when I didn't take my truggy up there. Recently I have been trail riding on a friends KX250 that has very little work done to make it trail friendly. It hits hard and is still built more for the race track than the woods. He has about $1600 in it and it pretty much convinced me to save my money and just get an older CR and do a fww, bark busters, skid, suspension work and spend the money I saved over a newer bike on fuel and just go ride. 

The CR can be a good woods weapon with a little money and wrench time but there is no denying that the KTM is a good machine for 2t trail riders. 

good comments fellas;

to be honest beta's are as rare as rocking horse shit here, so parts and finding a good dealer would be next to impossible here, but they seem to get some decent reviews in the mags nowadays (here in oz) but i am always sceptical of reviews but do appreciate honest feedback like you get on here... 

i have 3 months off the bike seat for now anyway thanks to been collected by my mate on the bikes, (just a shit accident he misjudged our speed and hit my mate and me from behind) and broke my collarbone in 2 places and now i have a 5" titanium plate and about 10 screws, so i'll be doing some one armed fishing and drinking for a wee bit i thinks.... and the missus will be on my case if i get on the bike earlier than what the doc has made me... 3 months is a bloody long time though...  

have a berg 450 turned 570 too, and i found the same thing as you moto9, the seat height makes tight stuff a little awkward for me i am 5"10 but find the hondas more comfortable, by the engine gearbox and the hyd clutch are a great package

cheers

nick

Hi Nick! Like you, I was wishing Honda would come out with a modern 2t enduro. One with direct injection and all of the latest and greatest technology. I also was riding an 09 450x, (my second 450X), but was getting tired of the weight and also a little nervous about engine failures. TWO of my riding buddies had catastrophic failures, one 450x and one 250x, and ended up parting out their bikes because the cost of repair was more than the bike was worth! I was also convinced I just had to have a 2014 KTM 300XC-W Six Days, even had the wife's approval to buy one! On second thought, I just could not justify spending 11k + on a new bike. So, I built a 2004 CR250. The more I ride the bike, the more I love it! Do not miss the 450 at all!

If you're interested, you can see my build here.

http://dirtbiker70x.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-new-2014-cr250r-xc-cross-country.html

• Like 1

Im also a long time Honda rider.

But after reading countless articles about KTMs be the greatest bikes going i had to have one. I bought a 2012 300xcw with lots of nice mods.

Long story short, i hated the KTM and sold it 3 weeks later.

Back on my old '03 cr250 and couldnt be happier.

Dont go orange.

• Like 4

For 2 stroke ; the Yamaha is hard to beat. The CR is good , but you're going to need some specific mods to be happy.

If you're a trail rider, which I assume you are having a 450x, I have no opinions to share.

I was going to same the same thing. The YZ is a great bike with great suspension. A way better option than going orange. Edited by Rich_Bing

Hi Nick! Like you, I was wishing Honda would come out with a modern 2t enduro. One with direct injection and all of the latest and greatest technology. I also was riding an 09 450x, (my second 450X), but was getting tired of the weight and also a little nervous about engine failures. TWO of my riding buddies had catastrophic failures, one 450x and one 250x, and ended up parting out their bikes because the cost of repair was more than the bike was worth! I was also convinced I just had to have a 2014 KTM 300XC-W Six Days, even had the wife's approval to buy one! On second thought, I just could not justify spending 11k + on a new bike. So, I built a 2004 CR250. The more I ride the bike, the more I love it! Do not miss the 450 at all!

If you're interested, you can see my build here.

http://dirtbiker70x.blogspot.com/2014/03/my-new-2014-cr250r-xc-cross-country.html

your bike is freakishly simialar to my '03.

Shipping the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr for the 265cc mobetta porting.

Should be fun.

your bike is freakishly simialar to my '03.

Shipping the cylinder and head to Eric Gorr for the 265cc mobetta porting.

Should be fun.

I have been considering this mod as well, looking to gain more low end grunt.

It's can get pretty slick where I ride and the 300's work better in wet conditions.

Can you post a full review when you get some good seat time.....BTW what is that mod costing you?

I have been considering this mod as well, looking to gain more low end grunt.

It's can get pretty slick where I ride and the 300's work better in wet conditions.

Can you post a full review when you get some good seat time.....BTW what is that mod costing you?

the mods cost around $600.

Includes big bore, replate, porting, head work, piston and gaskets.

Its a steal of a deal IMO.

You may want to opt for the low end porting. The reviews ive read on the Mobetta is more everywhere with a little less hit in the middle. May ad a Recluse 3.0 clutch as well. It was the only feature i liked about my ktm 300xcw.