Sign in to follow this  

Advice on clutch kit 08yz250f

Think my clutch is starting to go, so Im being proactive and getting a new kit. should I buy the ebc kit from RMATVMC or are there better options out there?

Hinson Rekluse it depends on the money you have to spend.

Don't feel shunned with the lack of replays I tried posting some stuff only one guy responded to me.

I've only used OEM in YZ250Fs as I never wore one out. I've used an EBC in my KTM 250SXF and it worked well enough. Here's what others said about Tusk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/350867-for-those-of-you-that-have-had-tusk-clutches-on-a-yz250f-please-help-me/

To test your clutch (proceed at your own risk): put your wheel against a wall, post or tree and try to push against it. Best to do this on asphalt with your bike at normal temperature. 5 to 15 seconds of pushing should tell you if your clutch is slipping.

Alternatively, measure the length and plate thickness per manual.

Replacing pars without measuring is a waste of money. If you think your clutch is wearing out, take it apart and measure the parts (takes 30 minutes), then replace what needs replacing. Usually, OEM parts are the best quality and aftermarket, cheaper.

I've only used OEM in YZ250Fs as I never wore one out. I've used an EBC in my KTM 250SXF and it worked well enough. Here's what others said about Tusk: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/350867-for-those-of-you-that-have-had-tusk-clutches-on-a-yz250f-please-help-me/

To test your clutch (proceed at your own risk): put your wheel against a wall, post or tree and try to push against it. Best to do this on asphalt with your bike at normal temperature. 5 to 15 seconds of pushing should tell you if your clutch is slipping.

Alternatively, measure the length and plate thickness per manual.

I won't be putting a tusk kit in it. I don't like tusk and I believe they sell cheap and inferior products. If I were to replace it would be oem or ebc for sure as I can't afford Hinson or rekluse at the moment

Also is it advised to change the springs with the plates or should I do plates only

I have had great luck with Tusk products, but perhaps someone who is much faster than me would find the limits of their products.  I have had a Tusk clutch in for over two years, and their brake pads have held up great for me as well. 

• Like 1

I have had great luck with Tusk products, but perhaps someone who is much faster than me would find the limits of their products.  I have had a Tusk clutch in for over two years, and their brake pads have held up great for me as well. 

I know some motard buddies whom has installed them in their street dirt bikes, and the Tusk clutch pack with HD springs survived for over a year or more of hard street riding (they don't go off-road at all).

My personal experience with the Tusk clutch kit with HD springs was on my old 2003 YZ450F.  Installed them after soaking them over night in oil, broke them in, and all was well.  After one use at a race, which it was pretty nasty muddy, they were toasted.  So I, personally, would not get them again for hard off-road use.

I do have some of their other products that work just fine though.

I know some motard buddies whom has installed them in their street dirt bikes, and the Tusk clutch pack with HD springs survived for over a year or more of hard street riding (they don't go off-road at all).

My personal experience with the Tusk clutch kit with HD springs was on my old 2003 YZ450F. Installed them after soaking them over night in oil, broke them in, and all was well. After one use at a race, which it was pretty nasty muddy, they were toasted. So I, personally, would not get them again for hard off-road use.

I do have some of their other products that work just fine though.

That's what I'm talking about I can't ever keep their brake levers from breaking so I'm definately not using their clutch products. Pretty sure I'm going oe or ebc just gotta look into prices I think ebc is around a hundo for the disks

That EBC pricing sounds about right.  I switched to a rekluse exp core 3.0 on both the WR250F & WR450F.  The 450 has the stock OE friction disks, and the 250 has the rekluse friction disks.  Both work just the same and well, even after the harsh muddy nasty riding I go through with them and I know that clutch has got hot.

My old 2003 WR450F had EBC steel and friction disks, which it also worked well on and off-road.  I run 15W-40 rotella oil.

I have the exact same bike and when I thought my clutch was going out I replaced it with OEM.  After changing the clutch the old one still measured within specs, so i probably could have just adjusted it.  I found that changing my clutch cable worked better.  I bought the cheap tusk one though and it was a little too long.  so when my bike gets really hot my clutch will need adjusted so I say OEM all the way.  They are made to the right specs and work/last longer.