'14 YZ which oil to use

Hey all, looking to buy engine oil for my new YZ250f and wanted to know which should I get.  There is the Yamalube Performance Semi-Synthetic or Yamalube All Purpose 4-Stroke Oil.  I wasn't sure if the Semi Syn was a better idea.  Thanks!

As far as i know the yamalube all purpose is 15w40 and the semi synthetic is 15w50 but it depends on your own preference, I personally swear by synthetic oils but the next guy could have a different opinion, but I have noticed that synthetic seems to "stick" longer before it all runs down and drips off

That was my next question.  The manual list about every weight as recommended, being in warmer Sacramento, Ca what would the best weight to run?  Should I run 10w40, 10w50 or 20w50...so confused, or is it even that big a deal?

That was my next question. The manual list about every weight as recommended, being in warmer Sacramento, Ca what would the best weight to run? Should I run 10w40, 10w50 or 20w50...so confused, or is it even that big a deal?

I've had great luck with Redline 10-40 motorcycle oil. Group V synthetic
  • Like 1

Hey all, looking to buy engine oil for my new YZ250f and wanted to know which should I get.  There is the Yamalube Performance Semi-Synthetic or Yamalube All Purpose 4-Stroke Oil.  I wasn't sure if the Semi Syn was a better idea.  Thanks!

Synthetic if your lazy about oil changes, None synthetic if your religious about oil changes. What brand? Doesn't matter don't care who tells you what. Find a reasonably cheap oil and run it.

Thanks for all the help guys....I went ahead with the Yamalube performance semi sythetic 10w50.  Figured it was a safe choice.

One question though....I put about 4 hours on the bike and did the recommended break in for the first hour.  I noticed that the oil was pretty dark and had a metalic flake sorta like a car paint job.  Is this of concern or just normal for a break in?  I had read the issues about the shifter stop issues with this bike and wondered if that may be of concern.  I am dropping the bike off next week for the dealer to take a look at the shifter stop and water pump impeller issue I have read about.  I am also going to bring a sample of the oil too just in case.  Guess I am a little paranoid but guess better safe than sorry.

You put 4 hours on it before your first oil change?

In the manual doesn't it say to do the break in and then change the oil? Not put 3 more hours on it then change it. Not being a dick, dont have manual in front of, questioning in case I did it wrong. But, I guess too soon is better then too late.

I've got maybe 4 hours on mine, I've changed the oil 3 times. This last time, it finally looked completely clean. I also just switched it over to the yamalube full synthetic 15w50.

On a side note, does your dealer know anything about the shift stop issue and water pump impellar? Because mine doesn't. On edit, I should say they know they've updated the part but they haven't had  any bikes back in the shop for the issue.

Edited by rexisme

Thanks for all the help guys....I went ahead with the Yamalube performance semi sythetic 10w50. Figured it was a safe choice.

One question though....I put about 4 hours on the bike and did the recommended break in for the first hour. I noticed that the oil was pretty dark and had a metalic flake sorta like a car paint job. Is this of concern or just normal for a break in? I had read the issues about the shifter stop issues with this bike and wondered if that may be of concern. I am dropping the bike off next week for the dealer to take a look at the shifter stop and water pump impeller issue I have read about. I am also going to bring a sample of the oil too just in case. Guess I am a little paranoid but guess better safe than sorry.

It's normal to see some material in the oil after initial break in. I typically change my oil every 3 hours. My first oil change was done at 3 hours and looked similar to what you described yours did.

The manufacturer typically uses some type of break in oil so you can expect it to look dirty when doing the first oil change.

My oil looks pretty clear now after every 3 hour oil change. I run none synthetic oil because I change the oil and filter every 3 hours. If you are using semi or full synthetic you can go 4-6 hours between oil changes.

Don't get caught up in the "this is the best oil to run" BS. As long as the oil is the correct spec to your bike and you do regular oil changes and maintenance it will last a long time.

My dealer told me to ride it 10min and let it cool 10 min for the first hour then ride it normally and the manual said ride it 20 min let it cool a bit then ride it 40 min and let it cool.  I mis quoted the riding time for trip time, I would say the bike had around an hour of running time.

My dealer said they hadn't heard of the issue but said they would take a look at it to be safe. 

My dealer told me to ride it 10min and let it cool 10 min for the first hour then ride it normally and the manual said ride it 20 min let it cool a bit then ride it 40 min and let it cool.  I mis quoted the riding time for trip time, I would say the bike had around an hour of running time.

My dealer said they hadn't heard of the issue but said they would take a look at it to be safe. 

Don't trust everything you read in the manual. I went through mine on my 2014 and it still says to lap the valves. Derp! You dont lap ti valves. Well not unless you just want to throw them away.

Why is that specifically?

Petroleum based oils IMO should never be used no matter how often you change your oil.

True synthetics like group IV and group V oils are far superior. These are high revving, hot running and a very small amount of oil motors. The things that are very hard on an oil. Do some research. I myself use nothing but Redline oils in dirt bikes, car, boats etc. No I don't work for them. I have done my home work and use what I believe is a top quality oil. I would bet that the pros don't use a cheap petroleum based oil and change it after every session!