Sign in to follow this  

Valve adjustment and Auto Decomp

So I think my auto compression is sticking or something on my 2001 XR400. Went to adjust my valve lash today and no mater how many times I turned the crank, counter clockwise, to the T, there was always a good amount of pressure on the rocker arm and what not. Couldnt get the feeler gauge in. So I loosened the nut and backed out the screw and there was a lot of pressure on the system. My only guess is the Auto decompression system is stuck on. Any ideas here, how to diagnose or get the system to back off? Thanks in advance,

Pressure on only that one rocker? The other exhaust and both intakes had wiggle?

If the auto decomp cam was stuck, constantly holding open the right exhaust, I doubt the bike would run, or at least very poorly. The manual and auto are two different systems anyway and don't interact with each other. The manual decomp is a simple mechanism.

All the valves had constant pressure on them. Not just the one. Sorry if my first post was unclear on that. So does the auto decompression only hold open one valve?

Edited by Tbh37620

You were on the wrong stroke then. When you're at TDC on the proper stroke, all rocker arms will have a little wiggle to then when you grab them with your fingers.

So you have now misadjusted the right valve. Take the spark plug out to allow easier turning and finding of TDC. When you get it on the proper stroke and the other three valve rocker arms have wiggle to them, check/set their clearances and take the extra slop out of the right exhaust.

Be sure you have the recommended 3/16-5/16" free play in the manual decomp lever before you feel it activate the valve, before and after your adjustments.