Sign in to follow this  

Ktm 85 detonation

So, recently I started having some "missing" on the top end and over rev. We replaced the standard BR9ECM-VX With the iridium version BR9 IX( I think it is). Tested it with this plug and it cleared right up. With Both plugs the colours are right. With the iridium plug, we had some detonation a couple of times so retarded the timing slightly and had a bit less detonation. Is retarding the right way to go?? We use a custom PPS full system, ktm sxs cdi, ovaled carb with the throttle slider milled for a bit more over rev, jetting is generally +2 on idle and main jet, vhm head with parabolic head insert and wossner piston, 99octane pump gas (I'm from the uk), which I think is 94-95 for you 'muricans. I never ride in the bottom end as its set up for mid to top end. We pulled the cover to retard the timing and found it was advanced all the way which it wasn't before a rebuild 3 hours ago. Once again should it be retarded more? Should we set it to standard?

We were running a bone stock bike until this year except for sxs pipe and cdi so we don't have any tuning experience previously.

We used some octane booster from my sponsor putoline oils and it doesn't detonate anymore.