Sign in to follow this  

Replacing valves...

I just bought an 04 crf450r and I love it it ran great for the first 4 hrs of riding and then I noticed that it was getting harder and harder to start and it wouldn't low idle if it wasn't idling high it would just die! And then it got even worst until I could get it started at all!! I took the carb out cleaned and blew everything out installed the JD jetting kit with the 180 main and I pit a new 45 pilot in it witch was the same as before and the new needle set at the 5th setting I'm right around 4400 feet. and it still won't start I've noticed to the it was loosing compression I can easily push the kick lever down with my hand... I was thinking it might be the valves? I checked them but the smallest feeler gauge I had was .006 and it wouldn't even start to go!!! So I was just going to go ahead and replace the valves but I haven't done a lot of valve work and don't know to much about it. Can I just replace the valves and not have to worry about anything els? What all do I need to do? The owner before me took great care of it and always took it to a bike shop to have it serviced and looked over and it was never raced or dune ridden. Just want to know what you guys think about it! I would really appreciate any help :) thanks in advance

You have to get the seats cut, take off head and send it off. Have them put in stainless steel valves and you'll be good for a long time.

Is there any way I could do the seats my self? I love working on unlike and I would like to learn how to do this stuff...

Edited by jsmxlove15

Yea I think your right I would rather it done right! Would you know of a place where I could get this done out here in az? I don't really know any good mechanics. And about how much would that cost me? Sry I probably sound pretty stupid lol thanks for your help!

Sent from my iPad using Thumper Talk