Sign in to follow this  

Cr250 problems!

I got rid of my yfz for a 96 Cr250 in pretty good shape and it ran really good. I rode it and had a blast for 2 days then the problems started! I'm coming to you guys because I'm tired of waiting around for my dad to help me out cause it's too much to ask for I guess. I don't have a manual for this right now but I know these motors good enough to work on them. Last week me and a buddy were riding at my place and we headed up one of the hills, I got to th top and started waiting for my buddy, turned around then he came up, I started to turn around again and I felt something's that seemed like my chain was skipping or something then the bike died. As I hopped off I noticed some clear oil in my boot. The gearbox oil drain plug must have fallen out I tried to kick it and nothing. Kick start is stuck. Got it back to my house and the gearbox was damn near empty. Put new oil in it and started messing around with it. When I rock it back and forth in gear, the kickstart will go down a little bit but that's it. Anyone know what could've happened? Or does anyone live in peco that could come help me out for some $$??

It's a "fresh rebuild".

It's not locked up. I can move the kickstarter a little bit when I put it in gear, rock it forward, then backwards. I'm confused

I got rid of my yfz for a 96 Cr250 in pretty good shape and it ran really good. I rode it and had a blast for 2 days then the problems started! I'm coming to you guys because I'm tired of waiting around for my dad to help me out cause it's too much to ask for I guess. I don't have a manual for this right now but I know these motors good enough to work on them. Last week me and a buddy were riding at my place and we headed up one of the hills, I got to th top and started waiting for my buddy, turned around then he came up, I started to turn around again and I felt something's that seemed like my chain was skipping or something then the bike died. As I hopped off I noticed some clear oil in my boot. The gearbox oil drain plug must have fallen out I tried to kick it and nothing. Kick start is stuck. Got it back to my house and the gearbox was damn near empty. Put new oil in it and started messing around with it. When I rock it back and forth in gear, the kickstart will go down a little bit but that's it. Anyone know what could've happened? Or does anyone live in peco that could come help me out for some $$??

It's a "fresh rebuild".

It's not locked up. I can move the kickstarter a little bit when I put it in gear, rock it forward, then backwards. I'm confused

My guess is that something in the transmission is siezed due to lack of oil.  I strongly suggest you stop trying to kick start (or bump start) it until you find out what's wrong.  It's possible to crack the center case if you kick a siezed engine too hard.  You're going to have to split the cases to determine definitively what's wrong.

When my CR250 lost a piston skirt, it locked up the crank and caused the kick start to lock up as well. So, start by pulling the head & cylinder off & inspecting the piston itself. You can do this with the engine still in the frame. If the piston looks good, then you will need to pull the engine out of the frame as you will be splitting the cases.

I'm hoping that you find your problem in the top end. However, if the drain plug was missing, and you ran the transmission low on oil, I think you could be in for some real problems.

When you say "you saw clear oil in your boot". What in the world are you talking about....?

First thing I would do is pull the right side cover...easy to do.

Drain the coolant first and remove the bolts in a pattern...punch some holes in a piece of carboard and drop the bolts in the holes so reassembly the bolts get put back in the right place.

If yor lucky you'll find the problem there, if not the motor must come out and the cases split to see where the damage is. assuming it's not in the top end.

Go here for a manual down load.

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/274314803-honda-cr250r-service-manual-repair-1992-1996-cr250