Sign in to follow this  

Michigan Tomahawk Trail - C Loop help!

Hey guys,

We took a trip to tomahawk last month and we are going again this month.  On our last day last time, we took the C loop south out of the trail head.  We only made it a few miles in before a broken clutch cable cut our day short.  Anyway, the section of C loop that we rode was very tight and technical, with frequent tight turns and no open sections where you could carry any speed.  I was wondering if the C loop opens up any further south, or maybe if you take the loop east instead if it's any better?  It's not that we are opposed to technical riding, but 40 miles of it with no chance to open the bikes up and power into some turns would get a little old.  I'm guessing it's just that initial section that's like that, but I was looking for some input from guys that have ridden it.  Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!!

There are some more open sections on it further out. Not as much as there used to be.

Hey guys,

We took a trip to tomahawk last month and we are going again this month.  On our last day last time, we took the C loop south out of the trail head.  We only made it a few miles in before a broken clutch cable cut our day short.  Anyway, the section of C loop that we rode was very tight and technical, with frequent tight turns and no open sections where you could carry any speed.  I was wondering if the C loop opens up any further south, or maybe if you take the loop east instead if it's any better?  It's not that we are opposed to technical riding, but 40 miles of it with no chance to open the bikes up and power into some turns would get a little old.  I'm guessing it's just that initial section that's like that, but I was looking for some input from guys that have ridden it.  Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks!!

I know what section you're talking about. They just put that in a couple of years ago. It's only a couple miles long or less and then the trail opens up to be more like B loop. Besides the mccct section that runs up there, that little section is the tightest portion of trail on any of the loops.

Honestly, I hate that section. I always make sure we go left at the junction to do that section first because it's annoying to do when you're at mile 30 of your ride. My friend loves it though and could ride that crap all day. =]

In regards to the loops, most people consider B loop to be the best. C is still fun but B has a bit better layout and terrain.

Edited by kan3

Thanks for the feedback! I've heard conflicting stories on B loop. Some people say its brutally tight single track that is so punishing its no fun, while others say its one of the best trails in MI. I'm wondering where the truth lies...lol

Thanks for the feedback! I've heard conflicting stories on B loop. Some people say its brutally tight single track that is so punishing its no fun, while others say its one of the best trails in MI. I'm wondering where the truth lies...lol

It use to be much tighter than it is now. That section in the C loop is tighter than anything B has to offer now. The mccct stuff up there is tighter than B is.

It use to be much tighter than it is now. That section in the C loop is tighter than anything B has to offer now. The mccct stuff up there is tighter than B is.

Thanks!  So in your opinion, does the C or B loop offer more fun?  We don't mind technical, but would prefer to be able to keep a good pace through the majority of the loop, and be able to carry speed into corners and have some fun.

I just rode all 3 loops last week.  C loop has the definite tight section,  it looked to me like it was a section that started as a detour around a fallen tree,  and then the trail cutter went nuts through all the tight twisties.  i bet my bark busters hit 25 trees on that loop,  and i broke 2 or 3 of the trees off.  It does open up,  gets some up and downs,  has its fair share of roots and rocks.  The most technical,  thee most challenging,  and most fun for me. 

I found B loop to be more open and faster,  and significantly less technical -  however,  I missed part of the trail and could not figure it out.  The B loop is far less well marked than either C or A.  And it is tough because the local road names change everytime the road turns,  or the maps will call them by a number,  while it has a name on it.

A loop was just a quick last day ride,  mostly open and quad accessable,  and only 20 miles long.  It is the most sandy of the 3 loops.  I was not paying attention,  came over the top of a hill pretty quickly, hit the sandy downhill,  took out a 3 inch tree with my bars (uprooted the tree),  which turned the bars 90 degrees and launched me into an endo over the bars,  headfirst faceplant into deep sand,  followed 1 second later by a 250 lb KTM piledriver, as it flipped over and drove me deeper into the sand head first.  Had blurry vision for a few minutes after that one,  but no headaches or long term effects,  so time to move on.  

All 3 trails need some cleaning after recent storms,  i moved 7 or 8 trees that were blocking the trails, and rode over (and broke) another 20 or so.

This week I will be over at Grand traverse trying to put in 150 miles of riding on those trails wed - friday  (I'm trying to ride myself back into shgape after a surgically imposed 9 month layoiff!

Thanks!  So in your opinion, does the C or B loop offer more fun?  We don't mind technical, but would prefer to be able to keep a good pace through the majority of the loop, and be able to carry speed into corners and have some fun.

from your description of what you want,  it might be worth giving A a try,  for carrying speed with a good pace,

otherwise .  By your description B is a better choice for you than C