Sign in to follow this  

A battle royale

Hey all,

I have a simple question and hope you guys can help.

When do you say its time for a new bike??

VS

Fix what you have

I started riding in 03, and until last year, I would keep a bike beyond its topical wear service.  I was constantly splitting and rebuilding just to race and ride.  Then beyond splitting cases and rebuilding items, a few odd things would pop up.  I had a c-clip break on a metering rod, on a small roller, tossing me up on the bars.  Then I had the chrome peel off a carb slide causing the throttle to stick on a double.  I cleared the jump in the standing position.  My helmet met my knees and dirt quite abruptly.

For me it was a safety issue, as well as a time and money issue.  I race and ride sometimes 3 times a week.  So I was burnt out on repairing bikes all week just to ride/race.  I have a 13 and 14 Sx, and it's been cheaper and definitely a time saver to buy a new bike every year or less.

• Like 1

Once a bike is “set up for me” it is kinda hard to part with it.  Fix what ya got and have a good ride is what I say.

Or you can be like some of the guys I ride with who are perfectly capable of fixing their bike but choose to buy a new one every few years cause they just like to ride the newest stuff and mod a new bike.

• Like 2

I always look and see what's best for me in the long run. At the start of last year, I was on a 06 YZ125 but wasn't happy. It had FC suspension but wasn't set up for anywhere near my weight. It handled like crap. about 3/4 of the way through the season, i was really hating the bike and couldn't get it right. It was probably about ready for a motor rebuild. So for me to be happy it needed let's say $1000 in suspension to FC and a $500 (high end) motor.

At the same time, the new 250F's were really overpowering me on one of our tracks with a ton of hills. I know it is mostly the rider...but still...that extra hp is nice.

Also my local dealership had a '13 YZ 250f for 5k OTD. after trading in my 125 for 1600 I walked out the door only paying like 3700 after tax which is a great deal. So instead of putting that money into my 125, instead invests into a bike that will last me quite a while and I won't have to do anything to, besides regular mantainance where a 125 is a motor a season...maybe 2 pistons...etc.

After I put 2 seasons on my 250f I'll get rid of it before the big problems start and get something else. Probably a new 2t I'm thinking, only because with college I may not be able to ride as much and it would be a little easier to maintain and just a little more fun.

I always look and see what's best for me in the long run. At the start of last year, I was on a 06 YZ125 but wasn't happy. It had FC suspension but wasn't set up for anywhere near my weight. It handled like crap. about 3/4 of the way through the season, i was really hating the bike and couldn't get it right. It was probably about ready for a motor rebuild. So for me to be happy it needed let's say $1000 in suspension to FC and a $500 (high end) motor.

At the same time, the new 250F's were really overpowering me on one of our tracks with a ton of hills. I know it is mostly the rider...but still...that extra hp is nice.

Also my local dealership had a '13 YZ 250f for 5k OTD. after trading in my 125 for 1600 I walked out the door only paying like 3700 after tax which is a great deal. So instead of putting that money into my 125, instead invests into a bike that will last me quite a while and I won't have to do anything to, besides regular mantainance where a 125 is a motor a season...maybe 2 pistons...etc.

After I put 2 seasons on my 250f I'll get rid of it before the big problems start and get something else. Probably a new 2t I'm thinking, only because with college I may not be able to ride as much and it would be a little easier to maintain and just a little more fun.

with excuses like that you should be in MotoGP XD

Either when my bike gets just worn out, meaning all maintainance parts need to be replaced at the same time, so it'll be new after they do. I'll usually do all of them and sell it with all new stuff.

Either that or when I really want a new bike, hate the bike I'm on, or just wanna get something else.

• Like 1

I sold my 14 year old KDX250 for $350 after the engine had been rebuilt so many times and had so many hours on it that the cases were worn out. That bike probably had 30,000-40,000 miles on it.

• Like 1

i usually just stick with the bike i have i dont need the newest bike out there to have fun. i have an 09 yamaha yz50f and if you talk to some people the bike is ancient but i still have fun 

Hey all,

I have a simple question and hope you guys can help.

When do you say its time for a new bike??

VS

Fix what you have

Here is the thing, unless your bike is vintage, after multiple problems, time and money spent...

The money for a new bike adds up fast in repairs.. So unless you love it get a new one and don't spend to much..

I talk about this with my friends all the time. I have friends who just get a new bike every year and others who stick with what they have, since it is set up perfect. I am on the fence. I used to be a 'new bike every other year' guy. It seems to work out ok, in general. Sometimes I felt like once I got a bike where I liked it, it was time to sell. Other bikes, just clicked from day 1 and others I never liked the whole time I've owned them. I have a couple friends that run 08-09 race bikes still now and run up front in A-class (one of which used to do a coupe nationals a year on that bike). So I see first-hand how it isn't really a bad thing to run a bike that you already have time/money into that is working for you. I am at that point with my current 250F. No complaints, runs/handles as good as anything I've ever ridden, still looks great etc. My problem? I am just programmed that I need a bike after a season or 2 of riding/racing. I doubt my bike is going to all of a sudden turn into a basket case, but I just sometimes feel like it might make more sense to put the money into a new bike. I've become too attached to it though. I guess I am getting old haha.So chances are that I will purchase a 2stroke here soon to play ride on and keep my 250F from racking up hours. Option 2 is I just clean house and get a '15. Haven't decided yet but it is funny when I discus with my gf and she looks at me like I am crazy.