Top End Tips?

Hey everyone. Another newb with a problem... Maybe you guys won't mind helping out again. So my bike (1990 yz250wr) quit idling well. I cleaned my carb, replaced my plug and began adjusting idle screw and pilot circuit. Adjustments to the idle made no difference. While adjusting it died several times before i could blip the throttle and eventually i said f it and tried turning it over by hand. Well it fired right up and since im not particularly strong im guessing my compression is shot. Im going to grab a tester soon to be sure but im planning on a new top end. This is my first 2 stroke and ive never messed with any engine internals before. Can anyone give me some tips? A good manual to buy or quality online instructions for free? Parts to buy? Where to buy them or things i should do while im tearing it apart? Id like to keep cost low but i dont mind spending for necessity and good quality. Or am i jumping the gun and the fix is much simpler and cheaper? Thanks for the help and i apologize if this all seems remedial.

Edited by wadam

I've seen the FAQ. It just sends me to the yamaha website and ive looked them over several timed and haven't been able to find anything involving service manuals. Im not sure what im doing wrong. Thanks for the leads. Ill see if they have parts for my old beast.

I figured that the standard yz would work but I'm just not seeing it in the list. I searched from 88-91 using no keywords and still nothing. Am i just blind? Sorry for all the questions. Id just like to save 60$ and a 2 hour drive to the stealership.

Even the Yamaha of Australia web site, which we used to link to only goes back so far in years.  Ya know, this might be too big of a hassle for you....Tell you what...I'll come and take it off your hands...even pay a little for it.  Then, you're done with it.  PM me your address.

Where in Washington are you? If you're close to Portland I can help ya out if need be.

You should be able to pick up a yz/wr clymer manual on eBay for your bike. The information is pretty much the same for all years, though as far as top end stuff goes. I bet even my '97 yz/wr manual would get by well enough to get through the rebuild. I could do it without the manual after having done it once (top ends are just THAT easy).