Sign in to follow this  

Rear fender bag recommendation?

Stock fender bag on my xr is shot and I'm looking to replace it.  I can order an oem, but just wondering if there is a better aftermarket alternative.  I ride with my 7 year old diabetic son and would like something to keep emergency supplies in.  I could also do a backpack, but since there's a bag already there and I need to replace it, why not?

Anybody have something they use and like?  Anybody have one they would recommend against?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi BDK.

I am also in need of a new bag. I have been looking at these bags from Xrs only.

20130408_xrsonly_4760_b_01_1.jpg20130408_xrsonly_4716_b_01.jpg

This may sound crazy, but listen.  I had the same dilemma, I even bought an eBay fender bag, and not the cheapest one, to replace my aging fender bag but thought it rather poor quality.  One day walking through the local grocery store I noticed an insulated lunch bag that looked small enough to mount on my fender.  It had zipper pockets, semi waterproof, insulated, and an American company, Alladin.

I bought it for the princely sum of $6.99 as a trial and removed the shoulder strap and drilled the bottom and reused the insert from my original bag and mounted it on my fender.  It was slightly bigger than the one I replaced, but not too much bigger to look bad.  It is insulated so your water and stuff, stays colder longer.  Insulin maybe?  It had two side compartments probably designed to hold snacks that I used to hold registration and whatnot.

They had all different sizes and color schemes to choose from so you can pick your own and adapt it.  Nothing is guaranteed to make you a better rider than a "Hello Kitty" fender bag.  You can also go for the boring plain Jane version  if you wish.

Edited by davek18
  • Like 1

Cool, Seahawks is my team.  Might be controversial in some crowds too.  A walk through Walmart or the local grocery store might reward you with the same one, or at least one you can examine hands on. The one I used was a little smaller.  It was about 6X6X6 or so. 

I use softsided toolboxes for rear rack bags on my XL600 in favor of expensive motorcycle specific ones.  I pick through the ones at the hardware stores to find the best fit for me.

Edited by davek18

I was talking about this with a buddy and he mentioned that he had an extra Pelican hard case he wasn't using.  I think I'm going to try mounting it up and see how it does.  It's a black Pelican 1120, almost exactly the same size as the stock bag (a little thicker).  

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail/Case/1120/

Anybody used one of those?

Thanks,

Brian

Tusk makes a little nice tool bag and it is cheap at around $15.

Rocky mountain carries this bag.