2013 Cracked Subframe - can it be welded?

Rode five practice sessions to come back to this.  Cracked by the left muffler mount.  Bike has about 40 hours.

Can it be welded?  Seams a chunk is missing where it must have been hitting after the break.  Attached are pictures.  What would cause this, would bottoming out cause this?  Never had this happen before with my YZ or KX.

photo 1.JPG

photo 5.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Very similar to this one:

By Seat:

Edited by revitup

Perhaps your rear tire was hitting your aftermarket muffler. Or there's some residual stress in the exhaust system as a result of installing it incorrectly.

Also, be sure to plug your mufflers when washing the bike, else water will get in and soak the packing, making the mufflers MUCH heavier than they should be!

Edited by Eddie8v

Good, I'll call around and try to find a welder to try the weld option first adding some gussets.  Thanks nesc103y for the option though.

I'll check the exhaust installation then.  I always plug when washing.  I'll post welded picts once I get it done.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, got the subframe back.  After investigation, I think this was a wreck from the previous owner that weakened the area.  The break actually looked like it was pushed outward.  Attached are the picts adding gussets.  They ended up doing the other side also just in case.

Note to self, the subframe and airbox can off in one piece but to install I needed to separate in order to get the air boot onto the FI intake.

I ended up pulling outward on the left exhaust as the clearance was tight when looking at the rear wheel.  The wheel also looked a little off center when the axle blocks were at 3.  The tire and chain looked more centered when the left was at 3 and the right was at 4  :confused:

Weld1.JPGWeld2.JPGWeld3.JPGWeld4.JPG

• Like 1

Ok, got the subframe back.  After investigation, I think this was a wreck from the previous owner that weakened the area.  The break actually looked like it was pushed outward.  Attached are the picts adding gussets.  They ended up doing the other side also just in case.

Note to self, the subframe and airbox can off in one piece but to install I needed to separate in order to get the air boot onto the FI intake.

I ended up pulling outward on the left exhaust as the clearance was tight when looking at the rear wheel.  The wheel also looked a little off center when the axle blocks were at 3.  The tire and chain looked more centered when the left was at 3 and the right was at 4  :confused:

?Weld1.JPG?Weld2.JPG?Weld3.JPG?Weld4.JPG

The weld job looks good.  Such a tight area to work on.  From the photos it looks as if they added some metal for strength.  That was a good call on the welders part.  I had a 2001 KTM 400 EXC and cracked the sub frame in a crash.  The welder added aluminum to the affected area and it looked and felt stronger than how it was originally.  Think of it as a sub frame strengthening mod.

Edited by Pete.Felten

...From the photos it looks as if they added some metal for strength...

Yes, in pict 4 you can see the metal they added.  A little tight because they had to make sure you could still get the airbox in.  Hope to go out soon and test it.