So I picked up the cyclops for my 250r and I'm having a tough time trying to set the thing up. Has anyone done this on their xr250r? And if you have, could you put up some pics of how you did it?

Hey gagallemore,

I'm looking to set up my XR250R with some kind of light too.

The first thing I came across is the alternator capacity, which I get as either 65 or 70 watts.

That Acerbis Cyclops has a 55 watt headlight and a 55 watt spot light. So it looks like you can't run them both at the same time. Unless you have put in an aftermarket alternator upgrade.

If you did that, I'd be interested in hearing the story. How easy was it?

Which part are you having problems with, fitting it to the bike . . .  or the wiring?

I'm having issues with the wiring. The head assembly that was on it before was fried so when I started to take things down I found out that it had an xr400 wiring harness along with the 250 harness as well. Took the 400 off because it no longer did anything but now I'm sorta lost on figuring out how to wire it up with the two hot wires that I've got. And I'm totally fine with not running both at the same time. Don't plan on doing much night riding, but I would like to be able to use the bright when I need it, even if I don't use the regular light.

I'm having issues with the wiring. The head assembly that was on it before was fried so when I started to take things down I found out that it had an xr400 wiring harness along with the 250 harness as well. Took the 400 off because it no longer did anything but now I'm sorta lost on figuring out how to wire it up with the two hot wires that I've got. And I'm totally fine with not running both at the same time. Don't plan on doing much night riding, but I would like to be able to use the bright when I need it, even if I don't use the regular light.

gagallemore,

Hard to say what's been done before if you are looking at two wire harnesses. Headscratcher, that.

On my 02 XR250R there is a yellow and white output wire from the  ac regulator which powers the headlight and tail light via a blue wire to each. The green is ground. There is no on/off switch, if the motor is running, the lights are on.

I haven't got my new light yet, but it looks like you will want to power your Acerbis from that yellow/white ac regulator wire. My plan is to rout the power thru a switch like this

switch_zps6d5c7508.jpg

Available from these guys, among others  http://www.cyclebuy.com/shopping/switches/switches.htm

That switch is three position (off/low/high)  so you'd only be using one light, or the high or low one from each lamp.

I don't know if that answers your question. There are no doubt a few guys on here with more experience doing this. I started a thread a few days ago related to this topic. Possibly some of the posts there would be helpful to you  http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1099687-headlight-upgrade/

Hehay!! I got it set up! I finally figured out which wire was my main. I had a switch from Tusk also that I connected. So because all of my wires had different connectors I had to figure do some custom connectors on the cyclops wiring and got them set up right.

Thanks for stating that I couldn't have both lights running at the same time. That helped me figure out that I can't hook up my high light with the bright bulb. Definitely too much power draw because they were lighting up pretty weak.

I hooked up the low light. Then I hooked up the high light and the switch goes from off to low and low will switch off to let the high light work.

I would also recommend the Acerbis Cyclops. I took it out on a night ride with my high light on (the low light hadn't been set up yet) and could see really well. I had a problem with my stock fender blocking some of the light on the direct front for about a foot and the left side about the same but it light everything else up and it was a unlit road with no moon coverage at all.

Thanks guys.

You know, I don't think it's that bad in all reality. I've only done a little night riding but I had no problem with it when I came to a stop and had the bike at a pretty low idle.