Sign in to follow this  

Shock technology

I'm debating updating the forks on my bike, an 03, or getting a newer model bike.  Has the technology on Shocks changed as much as it has on Forks?  Basically, in order to get the suspension of a new bike would I have to change the shocks also.  My 03 bike is a Gas Gas with an Ohlins shock and wp43 forks.

Edited by toadl

Yes yours are not the best and big improvements have been made

Yes yours are not the best and big improvements have been made

I'm assuming you mean the forks.  I know of there limitations.  My main concern is how much better late model rear shocks compare to mine.

Edited by toadl

Depends on how good your valving and spring rates are

Depends on how good your valving and spring rates are

It's not a question of having the suspension set up.  It's a question of if having a new shock would be superior to an older shock.

Ok your old ohlins can be decent but the forks never will be

I'm pretty sure that even the newer Ohlins shocks that would bolt in still do not have separate high and low speed adjusters so it is essentially the same as the 888 you already have. I'm not sure if the newest Reiger shocks for GasGas even have them? Separate High/Low comp adjusters would be the only real benefit that I see going to a newer shock, so without that, I don't see it being worth while.

Ya, the ohlins seems pretty good.  It seems there is a different fork design every year offered by some manufacture.  Shocks don't seem to change except valving.