Sign in to follow this  

Tires: What's a good trail tire to replace the stock tires with?

Hi all-

I've read that many don't like the stock tires that come with the CRF230f. Could someone recommend some options for basic trail riding? Thank you!

Best thing to do is to figure out on your own as to what type of dirt (terrain)  you're going to be riding on most of the time, and then select the appropriate compound (hard, med, soft, soft to medium, medium to hard), then the brand, to purchase.  "Basic trail riding" is a cryptic criteria when selecting a tire.

FYI: I've bought 3 new to nearly new 230Fs in a 10 yr period, and everyone one of them had the factory stock Pirelli MT320 tires on them when I first got them. I could find NO FAULT w/ them, even when riding on surfaces that these tires are not suited for (hard pack, pavement on street). The stock tires are best for soft to medium dirt.

Hi all-

I've read that many don't like the stock tires that come with the CRF230f. Could someone recommend some options for basic trail riding? Thank you!

I agree with the first two responses.

What is the ground like where you ride?

Check this thread out.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1085533-tire-recommendation/

I agree with Jedd's comment about the OE Pirelli rear tire except for side-to-side traction in slickery mud.  It had provided me with very good "drive" traction on rocky, rooted hardpack here in hilly Eastern Tennessee.  Also good drive traction in mud and wet stuff.  HOWEVER, it is terrible in the wet slickery stuff for "side-to-side" traction, will put you down in a hurry and without much warning.

I'll be trying a VE-33 next and hope to be in happy dreamy super duper awesome traction bliss soon there after.

I currently have an ED-11 on the front and like it alot, MUCH BETTER than the OE Pirelli front.