Sign in to follow this  

Going from a 125 to a 250 2 stroke

I will be transferring from my yz125 to my RM250. I currently race, and plan on moving to the 250C class. Any tips? I got the cornering thing down pat, no worries. How about jumping? Control? Thanks for the help!

The 250 is a workout.  It is more physically demanding to ride than a 125.  The extra power can upset the balance of the bike in corners which requires more careful application of the power.  You can just pin it in a 125 and throw it into a corner.  The same chassis with twice as much power will suddenly try to stand the bike up mid corner.  You just have to get used to it and learn to get along with it.

Jumping is no problem.  You just don't have to try as hard to get over anything in particular.  You can clear things from the inside line that you could only get over by going wide and carrying speed on a 125.

I was amazed at the difference between my 2003 kx125 and kx250.  Same year bike, you can swap forks and shocks around and the 250 just doesn't come close to the 125 in handling.  The extra power comes at a price.

I will be transferring from my yz125 to my RM250. I currently race, and plan on moving to the 250C class. Any tips? I got the cornering thing down pat, no worries. How about jumping? Control? Thanks for the help!

I did the same as you at the beginning of last year(yz125 to a rm250) and It took a few times out to truly feel comfortable but you will love the 250 after a few rides. It will tire you out faster though. I rode a 125 for the first time in over a year last month and man I forgot how often you have to shift and use the clutch! On the rm i can keep in 3rd gear most of the track. Also I was very happy to get out of the 125c class. I was tired of getting slammed into by 13 year olds on 125's. I now race either 250c or open c. Both are good and open c is seems to be safer because the riders are generally older and won't punt you off the track to get a plastic trophy. 250c has more riders though and there are more people for me to battle with, which is fun. Overall, take it easy at first and respect the increased power and you will be fine.

Short shift. At least it'll seem like short shifting compared to a 125. The power is a bit lower in the band and more broad. It shouldn't wear you out much more than the 125 will either. The rest is all the same pretty much, but you might take a day to feel it out.