Sign in to follow this  

Am I really gonna have more fun on a 10k bike?

So I've been really thinking about selling my CA plated crf and putting a down payment on a new 350 or 530 EXC. I think people should prolly get these plated bikes sooner than later. But I keep asking myself am I gonna have that much more fun on a 10k bike than my 10 year old paid for bike. Maintnence does kinda suck on the crf but I can deal. I don't really feel as though I'm out riding the bike. So is the upgrade in technology I would get on a new machine worth the entry price/payments? Will it really make a difference in my riding experiences?

Imo you either want the new bike or you dont. Or you have the money and you dont. It has to be your choice. If you put me on a factory bike with every upgrade you can, ill still suck and not reach a quarter of its potential. The way i see it is ignorance is bliss. You cant miss what you dont know. Flip side, if you feel like you are held back by a platform not suitable to what you always ride, then maybe buying that platform is what you need. Id love to tell you to buy something new!

• Like 1

Probably not but if you can find a gently used XR650 for a decent price it would make a great dual sport. I'd probably get the suspension valved and sprung for your weight and it will be much better offroad. Depends what kinda riding you do really but if you want street legal + offroad then I'd go WR450, KTM450xcw, or XR650. 

I wouldn't try and race an XR 650 but it's got its purpose. 

Ride one at a KTM demo day. If they're not doing an official ride day, where they have all the bikes to choose from, 3bros in Costa Mesa (my nearest KTM dealer) usually goes trail or track riding every weekend and gives their customers a chance to try new models (just not the full selection when it's a shop day). They're a good store ... heck I ride a Yamaha and even go there.

• Like 1

It's not that I'm looking for a true duel sport. I just need tags to connect trails here in kaliforniastan and I have that. I do want to compete in some local enduros and other races though. On the trail my bike is pretty close to all in need right now. I am concerned with getting a decent resale on the thing though as I have put a lot into it. I'm not naive though and realize I will take so e form of loss on it. As I said before I just think getting a CA plated bike from the factory right now is valuable. Who knows how long this will last? If you live in CA you would get it. So a new bike will make a difference in my speed and agility? I'm a decent rider but know I have miles to go in my riding expertise. I also feel like I may out grow my bike soon just in terms of overall CC's as I'm really not losing weight these days. So to those of you making the payments - Is it worth it? I know there's gotta be a few others out there who have been or are in this situation / feeling.

It's not that I'm looking for a true duel sport. I just need tags to connect trails here in kaliforniastan and I have that. I do want to compete in some local enduros and other races though. On the trail my bike is pretty close to all in need right now. I am concerned with getting a decent resale on the thing though as I have put a lot into it. I'm not naive though and realize I will take so e form of loss on it. As I said before I just think getting a CA plated bike from the factory right now is valuable. Who knows how long this will last? If you live in CA you would get it. So a new bike will make a difference in my speed and agility? I'm a decent rider but know I have miles to go in my riding expertise. I also feel like I may out grow my bike soon just in terms of overall CC's as I'm really not losing weight these days. So to those of you making the payments - Is it worth it? I know there's gotta be a few others out there who have been or are in this situation / feeling.

Lets get one thing out of the way fist up: If you rode a new Husky/KTM you would be jazzed. Like "I can't wait for the weekend to go test my new dirt bike or I can't wait for that round of the Enduro series". They are awesome machines.

As for financing a bike, interest payments just add to the loss on your new machine.

Estimated Costs for one year:

Loss on CRF: $2000

Interest payments in a year: $1000

Suspension respring and revalve: $1000

Exhaust and accessories: $1000

Depreciation in a year: $2000

Insurance $

Matching gear $

Steering damper

New hair style $

Grand total: ~$7000 :thumbsdn:

$7k in one year is hard to justify for a play bike. Owning a new bike doesn't have to be that expensive if you buy an on-sale model, buy one with enough power that you don't need a pipe/or buy a 2t, and respring yourself and pay upfront or get <3% apr.

Edited by Swappa

Why exactly do you want to get rid of the crf? Is it due for a lot of maintenance? Or are you just bored with it?

The advice i have always heard on financing a dirt bike which lets be honest is a toy. Is if you cant afford to buy it you cant afford to finance it. Trust me i have wanted to finance a new bike many times but the costs are way to high. Not to mention if something major happens to the bike and needs repair while you still have 4 or 5 years left to pay on it.

I would say if you have a plated crf in ca you already have a awesome bike. I would put some of that money you would otherwise lose on financing into that crf and enjoy riding the heck out of it. If a new bike is still what you want start making payments to your savings account and you will have saved enough to buy that new bike in no time.

Swappa and Yzer65. Thanks for the posts. You both make strong points and I really appreciate that, thank you. I guess it's just the bug nibbling on me. I'm sure we all know how that goes. The crf is maintnence heavy but I can deal with that. I just feel if I do t steel soon I'm gonna lose big on the thing. I do t really need a new bike though. Either way I'm gonna sit on it for the next season and see where that takes me. Thanks again!

IMO it is worth the price, but not the payments. If you buy it outright you will have more fun on it and be better off in the long run.

Save up your money and all the options in between (slightly used modern bikes) become available too, sometimes for a great deal.