Sign in to follow this  

Yz250f or trail bike

Howdy all I've had my 06 250f for a few years now and its been great but my girlfriend has started riding and when we are riding trails the bike has boiled over twice now due to me having to go slow and and wait on her. My question is there a way to keep the yz from getting too hot or would I be better off getting a trail bike or would a 2 stroke not over heat as easily?

Have you tried a higher pressure (1.6 bar) cap? Another thing you can do to keep it from boiling over for sure is to fill it up with Evans coolant. Problem with that is, it won't boil over, but it will still be getting too hot. Otherwise, you might try just taking off down the trail for a ways to get some air through it, then shut it off to wait for her to catch up. The success of that will depend a lot on her outlook about you running away from her sometimes.

2 stroke won't over heat nearly as quick as a 4 stroke, but unless you get something like my KDX, they do have their limits. Best bet might be a heavier pressure cap, an over flow bottle (Google "turkey baster mod"), and shut the bike off every chance you get.

Edited by OLHILLBILLY
  • Like 1

You could get a set of Mylers oversize rads and a high pressure cap. 

or sell it and get a yz250.  :ride:

Would a 2 stroke be less likely to over heat or should I be looking at wr's and what not?