Sign in to follow this  

kx250 front fork tube interchange

i just recently aquired a 99 kx250. i got it on trade and based on looks i figured the bike would need a decent amout of work. upon further inspection all the bike really needed was front fork seals, rear shock seal, and new brake levers. my main gripe is the fact that the previous owner decided to paint a bunch of stuff flat black. he painted the frame, all number plates, fuel tank, front fork guards, and front forks. i want to return this bike back to factory condition. the plastics are easy enough to come by. my issue is the upper front forks. i attempted to strip the paint off with acetone and when i did i discovered that the anodized coating had been ground off. now as i see it my 2 options to restore this bike are to re anodize the upper fork tube or to find new ones. To re-anodize them i would need to strip the paint and sand all the scratches and imperfections out of them, then pay a company $100 to anodize them. that's alot of work and a lot of waiting. on the other hand i can find upper fork tubes on beay for $20-70, the only problem is that they are differnt years and or part numbers than for my bike. so my real question is what upper fork tubes will fit my 99? from my research 96-97 is part number 44008-1037-14, 98-99 is 44008-1046-14, and 2000-01 is 44008-1050-14. so can all these parts interchange or am i sol? i just want to get my bike back to factory apperance

10408902_10154536441345173_2285997482232595335_n.jpg

1998 and 1999 are different.

The outer ttube dimensions are different on 1996 - 1998, so those may not work to hold the '99 internals.  Have you considered shopping for a set of used forks and just put them on?

Spray-bomb bikes suck!  Even if the deal is good, I won't buy another spraybomb again.  Too much PITA.  I would just get a replacement set of forks, 99-01 fit your clamps.

1998 and 1999 are different.

The outer ttube dimensions are different on 1996 - 1998, so those may not work to hold the '99 internals.  Have you considered shopping for a set of used forks and just put them on?

i thought that 02 and later bikes were the ones with different size fork tubes. it seems like every 2 years kawi changed the part number for the upper fork tubes. i guess i'll just buy some new forks on ebay, i figured it would be cheaper to get just the tubes. well i pulled the front forks off to put seals in them and it turns out they are anodized blue, i thought they were supposed to be gold in 99. do i possibly have forks off of an earlier bike?

the frame vin matches the title and when i looked up the vin online it showed it was a 99. it looks like a factory stamped vin and i bought this bike from the second owner. i'm guessing the forks have been replaced at one point. so now the question is can i fit the 99 forks into my current tripple?

Go to OEM hyphen CYCLE dot com.

click on the Parts Interchange button on the left and compare your upper and lower triple clamp measurements.  If the tubes are blue, there's a pretty good chance they are the old forks.  And NO 99 forks will not fit in those clamps.  You need a complete front end.

You can also measure the chrome leg:

91-95 - 43mm

96-01 - 46mm

02-07 - 48mm

But the clamp area diameter changed a few times.  So compare on that site.