Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha blaster piston suggestions

Hi I recently got a 1996 Yamaha blaster and I was riding it and it died. I tried kicking it over and it was hard to kick over. When I got it started again I pulled it into my garage and killed it. Kicked it over again and it was normal again. So I took it apart to find out the reason of my problem. The piston skirt is missing on the intake side. There should be a lot of metal in the case, but there was none and it is super clean in there. Now I'm wondering what to do, and have a few questions.

1. What caused it to "lock up" sort of

2. Where'd the piston go, or could the previous owner put in the broken piston after cleaning out the case

3. Should I rebuild it or sell it/ trade as is, or rebuilt then sell.

4. What piston should I use if I rebuild it. wiesco, namura, or namura high compression, or something else. Thanks for any input

New to this I have 2005 blaster wondering if anyone can help it kicks over but I have to rev iitor just dies iv had a look over but can not find the problem help

It had a full rebuild before I got it and just easy things I could think of

Hi I recently got a 1996 Yamaha blaster and I was riding it and it died. I tried kicking it over and it was hard to kick over. When I got it started again I pulled it into my garage and killed it. Kicked it over again and it was normal again. So I took it apart to find out the reason of my problem. The piston skirt is missing on the intake side. There should be a lot of metal in the case, but there was none and it is super clean in there. Now I'm wondering what to do, and have a few questions.

1. What caused it to "lock up" sort of

2. Where'd the piston go, or could the previous owner put in the broken piston after cleaning out the case

3. Should I rebuild it or sell it/ trade as is, or rebuilt then sell.

4. What piston should I use if I rebuild it. wiesco, namura, or namura high compression, or something else. Thanks for any input

Your piston skirt broke off and is in the bottom of the engine.

It happened because the cylinder bore is worn and the piston developed "slap" and fatigued the skirt.

It happens sooner if 1) you rev the engine hard, 2) use cheap oil, 3) have poor jetting causing temperature or wash problems.

It is not a difficult or expensive rebuild and for about $500 will give you a very reliable quad.

You need to :

1) Clean the quad and remove the cylinder (sounds like you've done this)

2) measure the piston or bore diameter and order the next size if damage is not too bad.

2b) conversely, there are cheap $250 cylinder/piston/gasket kits on Ebay

3) order a new or rebuilt crank kit $175 and gaskets and 3bond sealer $50 and impact driver $30

4) get an on-line Blaster manual to help in replacing the parts. There are videos on-line as well.

5) Pressure test (5-7psi $30) the engine when assembled, new plugs $15

6) Learn to check your jetting before running it long or hard.

So for about $600 you will have a hard running and reliable machine...

If you get you head modified with a new chamber shape $60 you will be astounded at the improvement.

311937_10151168912935803_1800164673_n.jp

Steve Best