2001 kx250 only 3rd gear works all other gears lock up and shut down motor

Hi there. I have a 2001 kx 250 , so my problem is the motor starts and runs good and third gear works good but the transmission won't go into neutral, and 1st,2nd,4th,and 5th lock the bike up. Has anyone else ever have this problem.

The transmission shifts through the gears fine. But won't go into neutral. I can ride in third gear just fine. But if I change to any other gear. The transmission locks up and the engine. But I can pull the clutch in and keep the engine running.

First thing I would do is take the clutch side case cover off. Check to see if everything is normal and that the shift drum is securely in place. If that all good you have no other option but split the cases and see whats going on. have you drain the tranny oil to see if any large debris comes out with the oil?

Edited by Blackwoodz
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...
On 10/17/2017 at 8:59 AM, greenteam05 said:

motoshawn, I know this is a super old thread, but I am having the EXACT same problem on my 01 KX250, I am planning on taking the engine out today, what did your's end up being?

I just pulled it apart and everything looks good but still locking up. What was wrong with your?