Sign in to follow this  

Front rear balance

After some advice on 12 KX450.

Going off my free sag numbers I need to go to a heavier spring in the rear.  Currently have 15mm free sag when running 100mm sag, so thinking of going to a 5.9-6.0kg rear spring from the factory 5.5kg to get the free sag number closer to 30-35mm.

On the front, from playing with the clickers, I have found a good setting on the forks which works for my riding and tracks I visit.  If I can avoid it,  I dont really want to change them as even on the bigger hits I dont seem to bottom them, and they are quite nice and plush.  

If I go up in the rear however, would it throw the front rear balance out of whack, if I kept the standard front springs?  is the general rule of thumb, if you go up 4 rear spring rates, you should do the same on the front to keep the same sort of balance?     Is there a recomended front fork sag setting that I should go by?

Any advice?

Hi, are you still running the stock front springs? if you are putting a heavier rear spring on it is always good to balance it with the equivalent front fork springs. That way your valving / clickers should not be affected. What level do you ride at?

After some advice on 12 KX450.

Going off my free sag numbers I need to go to a heavier spring in the rear. Currently have 15mm free sag when running 100mm sag, so thinking of going to a 5.9-6.0kg rear spring from the factory 5.5kg to get the free sag number closer to 30-35mm.

On the front, from playing with the clickers, I have found a good setting on the forks which works for my riding and tracks I visit. If I can avoid it, I dont really want to change them as even on the bigger hits I dont seem to bottom them, and they are quite nice and plush.

If I go up in the rear however, would it throw the front rear balance out of whack, if I kept the standard front springs? is the general rule of thumb, if you go up 4 rear spring rates, you should do the same on the front to keep the same sort of balance? Is there a recomended front fork sag setting that I should go by?

Any advice?

. Don't get to wrapped up in free sag. No you don't have to be spot on with front to rear rates. Meaning if go up or down 2-4 rates you don't have to match it precisely with the other.

Hi, are you still running the stock front springs? if you are putting a heavier rear spring on it is always good to balance it with the equivalent front fork springs. That way your valving / clickers should not be affected. What level do you ride at?

Yes still running stock front springs at the moment.  Riding level would be a novice/moving towards intermediate veteran on a good day.

. Don't get to wrapped up in free sag. No you don't have to be spot on with front to rear rates. Meaning if go up or down 2-4 rates you don't have to match it precisely with the other.

Okay thanks

With a 450 you need spring rates closer than you have they are way out , what do you weigh

230lbs now, and on my way to target weight of 220lbs (100kgs)

Going off on line calculators its suggesting a 0.49 front (only slightly higher than 0.48 stock), and 5.9-6.0kg rear.

Yes those sound right to me , if you go up on the rear it will work the front more which will mean the front will feel softer and may need the 0.49