How often should I?

So I have three bikes, I get to ride one of them about once a week ish. I try to make it a point to start them and let them warm up at least once a week. I have two 2T's and one Fuel injected YZ450F dirt bike. 

Question is. How often should I really run it or start it or what should I do when I travel from work for a week or two at a time and I can't get them out and really run them?

I hate to have them sit so long between hard runs but I don't want anything to mess up or go bad for letting them sit. 

Thanks

Matt

I think making sure there started every week is a little over kill and personally I think its better to let them sit then just to start them for a minute or two my bike sits for months in the winter efi yz and as the last poster said I think it started on the second kick it also sits from time to time for weeks In the summer and I have never noticed any difference in how it starts or runs. If its gonna sit for longer than a couple weeks maybe splash some stabilizer in the tank other than that I think any thing else is over kill. I only put stabilizer in the tank in winter because it does sit for months on end. These are just my opinions though.

• Like 1

Can't hurt to start them occasionally.  No such thing as too often.

My 2008 KTM 300 recently sat from June 1 until August 1 and started on first kick.

Actually it does hurt. Starting an engine just for the sake of starting it is one of the worst things you can do. Running an engine while it is cold is very hard on it, tolerances are not correct until the parts get up to the proper operating temperature. Unfortunately, this is a necessary evil since an engine can't be warm without starting cold. However, running an engine just until it warms up and then shutting it down is very hard on it and does not give you any benefit.

Another thing to look out for is condensation. Every time you warm an engine up and then let it sit it can build condensation inside the cases. If you don't run it long enough to evaporate this water out of the oil then it will build up in your oil and on your cases, which can lead to rust on bearings and other issues.

It is much better to store the bike properly and only run it when you are actually going to ride it.

Edited by KJ790
  • Like 7

Let an outboard motor sit for a year and see what happens.

I think running the engine cooks-out any condensation that might develop inside. Keeps seals oiled, and prevents sediment form solidifying.

letting some thing sit for years is different then weeks. Do what what makes feel better i guess is the answer. I agree with kj790 if its stored under good conditions and properly you are doing less harm then starting it briefly. One of the the hardest times for engines is start upi think most would agree correct? If you are constantly just starting your bike and letting it run for a minute or two and shutting it down I think your are creating more wear and tear. I have owned a boat and never had a problem with storing it for the winter with some stabil and a shot of fogging oil. I certainly didn't go out and start it every week or month.

Let an outboard motor sit for a year and see what happens.

I think running the engine cooks-out any condensation that might develop inside.  Keeps seals oiled, and prevents sediment form solidifying. 

Every outboard around here sits for 8 months at a time because the boating season is so short. Snowmobiles sit for just as long around here waiting for their to be enough snow. If you are starting it just for a few minutes you will not cook any condensation out, you will just be creating more. You need to run the engine at full operating temperature for a while to get all of the condensation out of the oil, you aren't going to do that by idling it for a minute in your driveway.

Thanks for the replies guys. More info the merrier so keep them coming. 

I will start to run the bike only when I have enough time to take it around back. I live in NM so the condensation is not as sever as it will be in other locations. 

Anyone that doesn't know the difference between then and than, I don't take seriously.

Anyone that points out a one word spelling error on a Internet dirt bike forum needs a life or at least another hobby. Thanks for your participation.
  • Like 3

When I can't ride for a few months or longer. I normally just drain all the fluids from the rads, gas tank, carb & the oil

You should put some oil in the cases. Seals and o-rings can dry out from sitting for a long time.

I think the temp of the storage area is important too. I had my bikes in an unheated shed all winter last year in northern ill and it got to about -30 for a month straight. They started fine in the spring but were properly stored. Now its in my attached garage and all i do is drain the tank. i ride once or twice a month right now and do little in between rides. Starts right up. If you are in NM id just leave it alone until you ride it. Drain the gas is all id do

We are going to try to ride Chadwick for the 1st time between Christmas & New Years and are not set up to camp yet. Does anyone know of a motel close to the trails?

No way I can do that. I live with some tards that would try to crank it while I'm at college. Bye bye 450. :/ that's why I brought her with me!